1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

NEW COMPUTER IP!?(please help)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Sevenfold`, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sevenfold`

Sevenfold` Thread Starter

today i was packeted. and let me say first hand it sucks. i think im good for now.. however the wanker that packeted me has my ip not to my modem... by to my computer. i did not give it to him. however he scammed me into going into his ventrilo server to get it. i need to know how to change my COMPUTER IP, not my modem IP. also i want to know if theres anything I should do to find if this a-hole is still using my computer. i would apreciate if anyone had serious help to e-mail me at any support is greatly accepted. if you feel the need, reply to this thread, but I might not check it for a while :D. thank you all for considering!:):(

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Edit out your email address. All it does is invite spam.

If you are behind a router you can assign your computer a static IP (see TCP/IP properties), but there's little point in doing so.

If you are talking about your public IP you can disconnect until after your lease expires. Then you may get a different IP next time.

3. Sevenfold`

thanks for telling me about my email. but anyway, i got my modem ip changed today by my isp. i also talked to the fbi :D this guy is gunna get rolled. and thanks for your advice :p. feel free to hit me up with anymore advice.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Just knowing somebody's public IP address does little good (or harm, depending on how you look at it). If you are protected behind a router and/or using a firewall about all somebody could do is mount a denial of service attack. Since this would put them at risk of detection nobody is likely to do that unless you are an inviting target--such as a major company or the Department of Defense, etc.

Most malware infections happen because we are lured into opening the wrong email attachments or visiting the wrong web sites or neglect to run an up to date anti-virus program. So, the only real advice is to keep your guard up and learn from mistakes.

5. Sevenfold`

well im not behind a router, im behind a firewall and modem, so I guess I'm good?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, but there is a serious omission in my previous post. There are some vulnerabilities in Windows and other applications that allow the bad guys to get to us without our cooperation. As these holes are discovered they are patched within hours (or at least within a month or two). So it is also important for us to keep current on critical (security) updates to Windows, browsers, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Java, etc.

7. Sevenfold`

ok sounds great thanks! i havnt been attacked by them since the first time they did it, which im thankful for.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!