1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Computer - No Network Connection - 680i

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mjohns9888, Aug 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mjohns9888

mjohns9888 Thread Starter

OS - Win XP Pro x64 SP2
    MOBO - nForce 680i w/4GB RAM
    Video - EVGA GeForce 9800 GX2 w/ 1GB

I just built a new computer using the nForce 680i mobo and I cannot get a network connection. I have configured the TCP/IP addresses/properties for my home network and double checked all the connections. I have a green light on the hub and on the ethernet plug on the computer. If I do a "ping" to anything (internal or external) I get "Destination host unreachable". If I do an "ipconfig" I get "Windows IP Configuration" and nothing else. All my other computers are working and talking to each other and to the outside world.

I have downloaded the latest drivers NVIDIA and installed them 3 times.
    In Control Panel > Networking it shows only one connection, and that is to "1394 Connection2", and that shows "connected". However, when I highlight TCP/IP in the Control Panel > Networking > 1394 Connection2 > Properties, the "Uninstall" button is greyed out. If I click on "Repair" the connection, I get a message that tells me the "TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection."

I have configured the TCP/IP properties for my home network and double checked all the connections. I have a green light on the hub and on the Ethernet plug on the computer.

Any ideas or suggestions ?????

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type devmgmt.msc

Please respond to all the following steps.

1. Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed.
    2. Are there any devices under Network adapters that have a red x displayed?
    3. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

Let's see this as well.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. mjohns9888

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

I:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

I:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

4. JohnWill

What about the Device Manager information? The IPCONFIG shows that Windows doesn't see any network hardware, probably because the drivers aren't installed.

Did you install the chipset and network drivers for the motherboard?

5. mjohns9888

I assumed that the guy that installed the mobo had done that. However, I have re-installed the network drivers 3 times, but with no change in the status of the ipconfig or the device manager.

Perhaps I should try and re-install the chipset to be sure I have the latest. Where would I find that?

6. JohnWill

I'll ask again, WHAT DO YOU SEE IN DEVICE MANAGER?

How about a screen shot with Network adapters expanded. And I'd also like the screen shot to include ANY parts that have errors indicated.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to TSG, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/744861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice