1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Computer Not Working Properly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tigger, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tigger

Tigger Thread Starter

I am putting together a new computer. Mid tower case w/ 300W PS, Microstar Main board, AMD Duron 1300MHz chip, 256 MB SDRAM, 80GB HDD.

When I boot the machine up, I get the POST beep and then it stalls, lights out and no other activity but the PS running. It does not stall in the same place twice. When I attempt to load Windows 98, it either stalls as usual or gets almost to finishing loading the tools to run set up and then says "Cannot Load Command.com". It also will not put me into the CMOS setup. When I hit del, it goes to black screen w/ cursor.

At this point, I cannot even determine if the HDD is faulty because I feel there is something wrong before I even get to that stage. Even when I attempt to run the software utility for the HDD, it just freezes or it may display colored blocks sporatically around the screen.

It does detect the drives and the RAM, which BTW, I installed KNOWN good RAM to eliminate that as a suspect.

Any clues?

Joel

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy Tigger...

Might want to check the video card, anytime I see this...

It's usually the video card causing the problem...

3. Tigger

Tigger Thread Starter

hmmm, even if it is an onboard video? Will look into that as I do have another video card I could put in (PCI)

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ahhh, on board video...

Looked back on the post and I suspect that something is up with the memory, since the onboard video shares the memory, and when installing any MS OS it set's up a RAM drive to install from, and the error "Cannot Load Command.com" + all the other errors you are getting, is a memory problem...

Have you tried Memtest86, to see if the memory will work with the motherboard ?

**Note this is an extensive test, it test's 8, 16, and 24 bit access, so let it run for at least 24 to 48 hrs**

5. Tigger

Tigger Thread Starter

Hmmm, will try that also, I suspected the RAM would work because the main board comes with two slots for SDRAM and two for DDR, whichever one you want to run. But I will try that as well. Thanks.

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok let us know how you fare with it...

I suspect the memory, but maybe someone will pop in that has a better suggestion, good luck with it :)...

7. Tigger

Tigger Thread Starter

OK, The RAM seems to be ok, and I placed another video card in and ir still behaves the same way. Anu new ideas?

Thanks

8. zeddy

zeddy

When you say you are trying to put together a new computer I take it you are using a clean formatted Hard drive. If you are now getting ready to install a new OS then do so with the minimum of cards in your PC until the OS is installed then add the cards in one by one.

9. rockinmale

rockinmale

From the problems your having, Im detecting that the psu could be the problem. It works but dont work. It seems the power supply isnt able to sustain the correct 3.3, 5, and 12 voltages and shuts down.

Since the unit is new i would take the psu back to the reseller and have him replace the power supply.

By Chance......Did you buy a quality power supply or did you buy a case that included the power supply? If you dont mind me asking what company made the power supply?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You may also have a short on the motherboard. Try setting up the system outside of the case and have only the bare minimum attached - this means only 1 stick of RAM, the video card, hard drive, and cd-rom.

Also what is specific model of your mainboard?

11. Tigger

Tigger Thread Starter

OK, I am using a minimum of cards, the only external card is the video card I put on to bypass the on board video.

The mainboard is a Micro ATX, MSI Mainboard designed for AMD Athlon XP / Duron. It came with an AMD Duron 1300 CPU.

The power supply did come with the case and is a global MA-300. I read alot of posts and articles about cheap power supplies, but my sister was looking for an inexpensive option and I just built two others last week by the same manufacturer and there were no problems.

Today, I tried to run a self booting floppy program that runs hardware tests and as usual the PC stopped responding half way through the test. The funny thing about that is the fact that this program is designed to find out what is wrong...LOL.

Thanks for the responses, I am trying everyones tips.

Joel

12. Tigger

Tigger Thread Starter

TRIPLE6,

You mean set the mainboard outside the case, plug every thing into it and try booting it up? Like sitting in on a table instead of screwed into the case?

Joel

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Tigger...

Yes...I'm 100% sure that is what he means, only try it on a piece of cardboard ( don't know what table you are talking about, but you need a non-conductive surface )...

Another thing to try, is to locate the Clear CMOS jumper, and clear the CMOS, or remove the battery for about 20 min, and see if it helps...

If this were my pc I would take Triple6's suggestion, unplug everything, but the memory, CPU and video, and see if you can get into the BIOS...

If this works then I agree with rockinmale, the PSU looks like the culprit, or maybe one of the other devices is pulling the PSU voltage down...

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, that's exactly what he means. :D I always fire up a new MB on the bench, usually sitting on the box it came in, and make sure everything's running properly before sticking it in the case. It's much easier to work on them on the bench in the open. :)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice