New Computer old hard drive won't work

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

robodoc

I've built my wife a new computer Mobo= MSI K7N2, AMD XP 2600, 1024Meg PC 3200 Ram. Right now I only have a cd rom Drive, Floppy, and a 32 meg video card. More will add later. I'm trying to bring a 40G Maxtor H/D from my wifes older computer to this one without formatting and reloading all her junk. It runs XP Pro, just loaded, no updates. I have backed the C drive via Nero, but was hoping not to have to Format and start over. My wifes tech guy at worked just did this with four computers at work. When I start the computer I run through the bios screen but when window goes to load, I get a blue screen, (not your normal blue screen of death), telling me that window was shut downdue to a possible virus or other unknown problems. It tells me to reboot and if this screen reapears to check my hard drive connections and settings. I can't go any farther. All connections and jumpers are good to go. Where do I go from here?
robodoc

a repair install of xp might work.
most times when a motherboard is changed you need a full format reinstall,but sometimes a repair install might get it going

robodoc

Do I set my boot sequence to go to the cdrom first and drop in the XP disk?

to do a repair install set computer to boot from CD,place your xp cd in the drive.
don't choose the first repair option just choose install then repair.

dustyjay

Jay
You CAN NOT move a drive with Win XP from one computer to another and get it to boot properly. During the installation process your installation loads up hardware settings for the motherboard. When you move it to another system with a different motherboard, those settings are still part of your windows installation.

In order to make it work you might get it to work by going into device manager while the hard drive is still installedin the old computer and basically deleting everything, do not restart if/when asked to until you have uninstalled everything. Shut the comupter down completely. Install the hard drive into the new computer.

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".
Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

robodoc

I unloaded the mother board and printer drivers before removing the hard drive. Probably should've hit the video driver too. I printed your instructions and am heading to her computer

robodoc

When I got to the point where you said to press R, I did and nothing happened. The instructions said to hit enter, so I did. Now I'm in windows setup wher I get three options, 1) To use the existing folder and delete existing window pree L
2) To use a different folder press ESC
3) To quit setup press F3

What now?

dustyjay

Jay
When it does a repair install it will act like a fresh install of windows. You may not have to go as far as re-entering the Key Code though. Remember after you have finished with the repair install, you need to install the motherboard drivers from the Disc that came with the motherboard. Then you will have to do your windows updates again even if they were installed prior to doing the repair install.

robodoc

I've ran the drill again and when I get to the point where you say press "R", It's not an option nor does it do anything. I tried to let the machine boot from the hard drive but the problem is still the same. I'm now sitting at the spot where you said to press "R". My options are to select between 38G Fat 32. and 8M of unpartitioned space. Once I select one, my options are,
1) Set up windows on the chosen space
2) Create a partition in the in the unpartitioned space
3) Delete the selected partition
I never saw anything about a Recovery Console, even though I wa not to choose it.

robodoc

Thanks for the pictures. My problem is that when I get to the third screen, there is no repair option. However, Where you see the C:\Windows "Microsoft Windows XP Proffesional" highlighted in white, mine doesn't sat that. It say's "Partition 1 Fat 32". It has 38+ gig of space. The under it is "Unpartition space 8MB. Is this taking away my repar option.

robodoc

When setup is first loading and your watching the items loading up at the bottom of the screen ther is an option to Use Auto Recovery System (ARS) press F2. Any idea what that is? Could it be the button that cures all ills?

robodoc

I just noticed that in the box on screen three, above the two previously noted entries is this,
"38171 MB Disc 0 at Id 0 on bus 0 on atapi (MBR). It is not selectable though.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online