1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new computer or what?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jeanette1958, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jeanette1958

Jeanette1958 Thread Starter

:confused: :confused: :confused:
    I have a desktop computer Compaq Presario and I was wondering would it be better to buy a new one with more memory or just upgrade this one. Because it take forever :mad: :( to download anything. I am upgrading my internet service to cable internet service will that help

Inter(R) celeron(TM) CPU

1200 MHZ
    1.20 GHZ
    256 MB of RAM

Serial # (monitor) 139CE11VE371
    Model # colo564

Hard drive?

Serial# U206JW5ZA233
    Issue 0133702713

Jeanette

2. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

A new one would be better, but how are you connecting to the internet.

Have you cleaned Temp files, Temp IE files, defrag.

What OS - Are you protected against spyware?

Lots of Q's ............

3. Jeanette1958

:confused: :confused: :confused:
    I have installed Mircosoft Windows XP Service 2 Pack
    Firewall, Norton antivirus.

The internet service is called Comcast DSL Cable interner service

Jeanette
    Thank you :)

4. MFDnNC

MFDnNC

Before going for a new one....

At that speed can I assume it had something like 98 on it and you installed over it with XP?

You might try backing up the data, and doing a Clean (Format) install of XP.

Are you sure that the DSl connection is not the problem

5. Jeanette1958

No I don't think so, I have had SBC DSL before, and it work just fine,but this the first I am using a broad band internet connection in which is supposed to faster than DSL, I hope this is true. How do I back up my file? I didn't do it last time, when I got the virus, and now I starting all over again. I had to see my hard drive out to be fixed, which cost a lot and a long time to fix it.

Jeanette
    Thank you

6. 4steve44

4steve44

Ok :eek: Comcast does not sell DSL. They are a cable broadband ISP. I have comcast where I live here in Vancouver USA and my connection to the internet is 3MB. My downloads are roughly around 300/kbps. It depends on the download site. If you were downloading SP2 that seemed so slow it depended on how up to date your system was on how large the download was. SP2 could have been as low as 76MB or as high as 200 something. It's been about a 50/50 split om whether people are having problems with SP2. I have downloaded it twice and got rid of it twice and won't bother ever getting it back until The micromen have fixed it. Which means the Longhorn will be out first :eek: :D

7. brite750

brite750

DSL is broadband, in my area there are two flavors one for $29 and one for $39, the latter is comparable to Roadrunner. the cheaper one is a little slower, if your not using a dialup modem than you have broadband
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/dsl.htm

8. 4steve44

4steve44

Ok you're right brite. But there is a big difference between Even the highest DSL speed(about 1.5MB) and Cable(3MB). I have had both but that's just my expeirence in my area. Is it the same in your area or not? :D

9. brite750

brite750

You can backup your files with a CDRW drive if you have one, or another hard drive if you have one, never heard of anyone having their hdd fixed, usually you just replace them, i would think you would be doing regular backups of your important data since it cost you so much to recover before

10. brite750

brite750

Must depend on where you are, the people who have the $39 DSL say it's just as fast as RR but i don't know for sure, it's the same price though.

11. 4steve44

4steve44

Sorry brite I don't know what roadrunner is. Please splain it to me :eek:

12. brite750

brite750

Getting bac to the original question about buying a new pc, I did find my new pc with ob nic was way faster that my older pc with a pci nic

13. brite750

brite750

It's what Time Warner calls their broadband internet service that works over the cable tv lines
    http://www.rr.com/flash/index.cfm
    Road Runner, get it, it runs fast....because the coyote is after it....

14. 4steve44

4steve44

Thanks, I do want a pair of those ACME rocket shoes :D :eek:

15. 4steve44

4steve44

It looks like the Road Runner service is the same as Comcast. 3MB.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice