1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New computer problems! Only works in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TreyDawgMT, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TreyDawgMT

TreyDawgMT Thread Starter

Hey everyone,

I'm having some major problems with my new computer. I have built it, and installed MS Windows XP Professional Version 2002. (without SP2 preinstalled on it). When I start the computer with my new PCI-E video card Windows will work fine in Safe Mode, but will not start in Normal Mode. I will get the Windows XP Start Screen and the orange bars will scroll for a few seconds and then lock up normally. Occasionally it will freeze to a black screen, or a screen with what looks like a small portion of the Welcome Screen displayed many times. I tried starting into Safe Mode and installing the Driver CD for the video card with the same results.

If I use the onboard video I have the same problems most of the time. Once, though, I got it to work most or all of the time when using onboard video after installing the onboard video drivers from the disk (I think this was when I tried using a backup copy of a different Windows XP w/SP2 on it, but I can't run that one on this computer, so, since I was having the same problems I went back to my OEM disk). I forget now if it was everytime though.

I'm at a loss of what to do, how to trouble shoot this. It appears to be some sort of driver issue, as the computer starts fine, and runs fine in Safe Mode. Oh, to note, everytime it does not work in Normal Mode, the HDD light is off, nothing is spinning anywhere, it is very quiet.

Below are the specs of my new computer hardware:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Windsor 2.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADA3800CUBOX - Retail
    GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 Socket AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
    CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400 - Retail
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
    EVGA 256-P2-N550 -T2 GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
    I am using two older drives, one DVD/CD-RW and one DVD+/-/RW. Everything else was brand new.

2. Flags

Flags

Trey: Did you install the chipset drivers for your mobo? Should be on the Mobo disk.
    I think you're on the right track, it's probably your video driver. I'd uninstall it and then reinstall it from your disk that came with the card.

3. TreyDawgMT

I have installed the chipset drivers that I can once, but right now with the good and legal version of Windows, when I do the Chipset Drivers the only options are Yahoo Toolbar (why that's a chipset driver I have NO clue...) and AMD Cool & Quiet CPU Driver... The only time multiple options were available was when I had the one w/SP2 installed, and then there were a few more chipset drivers. However, I can't install SP2 right now, unless if I click Safe Mode w/networking I will be able to install drivers for a wireless network card and get onto the internet. I'll try that, I've never before gotten on the internet in safe mode though...

4. TreyDawgMT

Ok, well Safe Mode w/Networking isn't working either... (never tried it before though, maybe it just takes a LONG time??) I could try Downloading SP2 onto a CD or DVD and then installing it manually... Anyone know where i can get it or anyother ideas? This is making me mad! lol :-D

5. Flags

Flags

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Go into the bios and shut down the onboard video. Then tap F8 as if you are going into safe mode and instead choose vga drivers. Then you can get into Windows and install the video driver.

7. TreyDawgMT

Hey guys - been *super* busy lately, and haven't been able to work on it. Just tried today, with both onboard and PCIE video cards I can't get into Windows by choosing VGA drivers, or normal mode. It does the same thing for both of them, stalls either on the windows logo, or with a small portion of the windows screen repeated many times on the screen... Any ideas???

8. TreyDawgMT

Ok, does anyone have any ideas on this problem. Still haven't solved it, and have no idea how to isolate the software/hardware issue causing the problem. Its making me mad! It works perfectly fine in safe mode, but no where else...

Thanks!

9. Flags

Flags

TD: I don't think you stated the wattage of your Power Supply Unit.
    That could be a problem iif it's not powerful enough to bump things along.
    It is amazing the problems that underpower can give you.

10. Kantankerous

Kantankerous

Did you try doing a complete new install of the OS?

11. TreyDawgMT

Its a 500W Power Supply that is brand new. Now it is a X-Connect, which many people have said is not good, but I've had quite a few that are fine w/no problems. This one is a replacement for one that quit after 2.5yrs. I'll try the other PSU I have, but I think its only a 450 or 500W as well...

12. TreyDawgMT

And Kantankerous - yes, about 7 times...

13. TreyDawgMT

(P.S. - wasn't trying to be mean, realized it might sound that way, just frustrated w/it all, that's it)

14. TreyDawgMT

Darn it, well, can't test the PSU, cuz my other one doesn't have the right connection for my HD now...

15. TreyDawgMT

Hey everyone. The PSU works fine, but isn't powerful enough, I guess. After removing the PCI TV-Tuner Card and one CD/DVD Drive, the computer runs. So, I'm gonna need to buy a new PSU I guess. Any ideas for one I can buy? Don't wanna break the bank, but I'm guessing I'm gonna need to go for 600W PSU, and it needs to have an SATA connection, cuz my HD does not.

Also, anyone know how I can make Windows which is now updated to SP2, see the other 120 odd GBs of my HD as a second partition? Since I only have Windows w/SP1 for installation, it only recognized roughly 130GB of my 250GB HD. I know I've done this before, but don't remember how.

THANKS!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/564231

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice