1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new computer problems

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dekanos, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dekanos

Dekanos Thread Starter

i bought a new computer recently and it has a few problems:

ITs an AMD Athalon 3000 yet the computer restricts itself to running at 2.0 ghz. how may i change this so it wil run at its full capacity?

it came wiht a 64 meg graphics card: Nvidia GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU. ive looked all over the internet but cannot find pixel shader support. where may i find it, or, does this card even support pixel shading?

it came with 512 meg of ram, yet it only uses 191 meg of ram. how may increase the amount of ram the computer is using?

i appreciate any help i can get on this thread and on the other i started regarding the World of Warcraft Beta. Thank you!

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) The Athlon 3000 is a 2.16ghz processor so your chip is probably already running at full capacity.
    Here is a cut/past from the chip specs.

AMD says this chip should perform as well as a 3.0 hence the 3000 rating. It does not indicate true clockspeed.

2) Integrated graphics means on the motherboard. I doubt if it has pixel shading but I am looking it up now to be sure. I will edit to give you an answer. You would have to actually install an up to date card if it doesn't.

3) Are you sure it has 512? What it sounds like is that it only has 256...64 of which are being used for video memory and the rest by the system. If it DOES have 512 then its not reading one of the chips and thats one for the manufacturer's tech support line unless you feel comfortable opening up the case.

If it only has 256 you would need to purchase and install more memory to bring it up to 512.

If you don't mind opening the case, request this post be moved to the hardware forum and we will talk you through it there.

EDIT:

Nope, no pixel shading.

here is a review of the chip from back in February 2002. Scroll down to see the mx440 info.

Relevant quote cut/pasted ...bold and italics are mine for emphasis :D

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Just to add to JToast's post, any video or sound devices indicated as 'intergated' or 'onboard' means that it will use the main memory (RAM), so therefore when you boot the machine up or even look in Control Panel / Properties of My Computer, the value is less than what you have installed. ie if you have 512Mb of RAM, and you have an 64Mb Video card (which you do) and say about 4Mb for sound (I'm sure that's too much) then that will leave you with 444Mb free physically free.

I think JToast is right about the memory being faulty. If you are seeing 192Mb RAM free, and you are stated it has 512Mb, then either one of the RAM modules is faulty or they told you the wrong amount because 256Mb - 64Mb RAM for video = 192Mb free (If it says 191Mb, then maybe there is 1Mb used for sound)

Nowadays I have been told that onboard items are more 'stable' then they were before, but I beg to differ. The only machines I deal with are items that are not intergated, that way it's more easier to deal with, especially with returns since you can send in the faulty part, rather the whole machine.

Lastly where did you get the machine and like JToast said you may need to contact them for tech support and maybe a RMA number.

4. Dekanos

Dekanos Thread Starter

thx, ill do wat u said. im alright with opening up the comp, ill probably install more ram and update the graphics card in a few months, like i usuallly do lol
    thx

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well, you need to fix the memory issue. If you machine is meant to have 512Mb then they need to send you a 256Mb stick

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice