1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Computer Quandary - No access to bios set-up!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by veylen, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. veylen

veylen Thread Starter

I have built my new P4 to replace my old K6. I put the 3.2E P4 on a genuine intel board,
    the D865GLC/peso - I know that the GLC and the PESO are separate boards... just this one
    seems to be both - go figure?? Anyway, so Intel assure me that there is no issue with this setup. It should work.

I have a blank 250G HDD from WD on SATA0, and an IDE Caddy on IDE-1 Master.
    The slave to IDE-1 is a CD-ROM. Master on IDE-2 is a DVD-ROM; I have not as yet connected anything to slave on IDE-2.

There is 1Gb of Ram in 2x512 sticks single channel. I may be sticking another gig in when
    it's all set up and running smoothly. So... that's the system... now the issue.

When I power up.... the computer gives a short post beep and then seeks for a boot
    device... everything is normal there. It finds the Windows system CD-ROM and prepares
    to load the system.

But I wanted to boot from the caddy.... I have placed two different HDDs into the caddy.
    I with 2000pro loaded and the other with Suse7. The computer denied their existance.

So I sought to re-boot entering the BIOS. This is where I find the first MAJOR issue.
    No matter what key compination I press.... there is simply NO ACCESS to the BIOS.

This is a totally new issue for me. I have simply not seen a working system (x86) that
    will not give access to the BIOS set-up utility. It's not like the system is hanging, it's not.

Switch on --> Post beep ---> DVD-ROM --> windows set-up loads. Great! except it's not
    what I want it to be doing.

Do any of you lot have any ideas :confused:

2. buckfan1

buckfan1

What board are you using? you tried f2, delete ,f10 ?

3. rugrat

rugrat

The intel site says f2.

4. veylen

veylen Thread Starter

I was about to launch a small tieraid.... something along the lines of...
    Please re-read my post. The board is stated at the top.
    I have tried ALL key combinations. F2 first, Delete second.....

However on reconsideration, You are right to ask... which board.
    Well, at least... I did a google for the board... nothing, then I remembered to swap it around... it's the D865PESO/GLC. Which actually only produces 1 result now though there was 2 the first time I did the secrch... the russian language version of the developers intel site HAD a page for it. I find it very weird that it doesn't appear now, or in the english version at all. The board exists... I've got one. again... go figure.

At any rate... I have attacked the keys through-and-through NO KEY or
    Key Combination will activate the BIOS set-up utility.

I am considering updating the BIOS to P24. Though I am unsure of how to do that... will the flash utility run as boot from the cd-rom??

Or from a floppy - which means I'll need to buy a disk (got the drive, just don't have any disks... haven't used storage that small in years... lol)

This has just got me stumped. I figure that once I get access to the BIOS I can sort out the caddy issue. -- Mmmm just a thought on that, I'm not at my place now... but if it is boot order that's out.... I should re-try without the windows cd in the drive and see if the caddy gets seen.
    Stupid really, I should have thought at the time. I guess I was over-tired.

But even if that does work, it still dosen't give me access to the BIOS.
    Arrgh! I really need this system to run. And soon!

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Have you tried pressing and holding down a key on the keyboard during the boot process?

Sometimes you will get a key stuck message and it will prompt you to enter the BIOS...

Also is this a USB Keyboard?

If so try a PS2 one...

6. buckfan1

buckfan1

Can you send me the link to where you bought this board I can not find it. I want to help but need more info or need to see this with my own eye's. So please send me the link so we can take a look at it.

7. frankjohn

frankjohn

TRY using another key board, worth a try?

8. veylen

veylen Thread Starter

Keyboard, mmmm it is a PS2 and is working. I get a response every time I hit a key. Mmm thinking about it.... the response of something akin to no boot device, leads me to think I have tried the caddy without the cd-rom. Ah well.

But the press and hold --- that may a try be worth, I think, yes. I have much to try when next I get home. Thank you.... if any one else has 2 cents, pence, or even rhupia to add.... please do. All suggestions taken under advisement.

9. buckfan1

buckfan1

this might help

These .PDF documents list BIOS settings for Intel® Desktop Boards.

The BIOS Setup program can be used to view and change the BIOS settings for the computer and is accessed by pressing the <F2> key after the Power-On Self-Test (POST) memory test begins and before the operating system boot begins.

The presence of many BIOS settings are dependent on your board model, hardware components installed, and the BIOS version. BIOS menu titles may differ.

If any problems occur after making BIOS settings changes (poor performance, intermittent issues, etc.), reset the desktop board to default values:

During boot, enter the BIOS setup by pressing F2.
    Press F9 to set defaults.
    Press F10 to Save and Exit.
    If the system locks or won't boot after making BIOS settings changes, perform a BIOS recovery as described at http://support.intel.com/design/motherbd/recoverybios.htm.

http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-020304.htm

Good luck

10. veylen

veylen Thread Starter

I bought the board in a shop... they don't have much of an online presence. The board was bought some 18-20 months ago... I'm on the disability support pension due to illness. The machine has taken a long time to build. I still need to get a new graphics card for it... but am using the old 32mb card from my dual p2. (Which I hope to soon upgrade to a dual p3 450 - but that too needs a BIOS upgrade - at least I can access the bios on that one.. lol.)

Yep I can also try another keyboard - but I don't think the keyboard is the issue here.... as it appears to be functional.

11. veylen

veylen Thread Starter

I have researched the intel site a lot before asking the question. I find that there are enough dumb questions asked by newbies without folk like me who should know better asking them as well.

This is a case of not even being able to get to the set-up utility. I think my first course of action after the press and hold will be to pull the jumper and attempt a reset, just incase that sparks a change of situation.

After that I'll burn a cd of the P24 bios for the straight GLC, as when I was in email contact with the intel service centre they referred me to the GLC page for processor support and AA numbers. Which leads me to suspect that the board is more aligned to the GLC than to the PESO.

12. SacsTC

SacsTC

13. buckfan1

buckfan1

3.1 Introduction
    The Desktop Boards D865PERC and D865PESO use an Intel/AMI BIOS that is stored in the
    Firmware Hub (FWH) and can be updated using a disk-based program. The FWH contains the
    BIOS Setup program, POST, the PCI auto-configuration utility, and Plug and Play support.
    The BIOS displays a message during POST identifying the type of BIOS and a revision code. The
    initial production BIOSs are identified as RC86510A.86A.
    When the BIOS Setup configuration jumper is set to configure mode and the computer is poweredup,
    the BIOS compares the CPU version and the microcode version in the BIOS and reports if the
    two match.

You need to find the jumper they are talking about and then you can get into the bios.

14. frankjohn

frankjohn

other than the jumper setting ,could this be a battery pblm?

15. veylen

veylen Thread Starter

OK Folks.... Sorry I've been busy with other things.

I couldn't access the BIOS Setup via keyboard.... because of a new (to me) function
    called 'Silent Running' - when I force booted into BIOS and found it. Everything fell into
    place, on that question.

As to the IDE HDDs not being acknoledged.... I dont know... after the settings question was fixed I got a boot-to-issue with the IDE drives. The Issue it hangs - But I know why. The boot.ini has the old computer's chip string in it and short of booting off of something else to rewrite the boot.ini there's nothing but a fomat c: to do about it. So I'll take the rewrite option as that drive has got more than just OS files on it. lol.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice