Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Computer Question -- ???

2K views 44 replies 7 participants last post by  twizzie 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm thinking of building, and mind you that this is going to be my first time building a computer, a computer.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Do this and this go together?

2. Is this compatible?

3. Is this compatible?

Please feel free to recommend products and add things. Since this is my first time building a computer I appreciate any tips and opinions!

Just remember that I am staying on a budget, somewhere about $600, and that I will be using this system mainly for Internet browsing and e-mail. I will not be doing any games (maybe except Solitare :rolleyes: ).

Thanks Everyone,
Simon :)

#2 ·
By the way, I may expand my budget by selling my iMac G5. Please see my thread entitled Resale Value in the Apple area for details.

Thanks,

#3 ·
That's an ok system--but here are some low cost items to look at:

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103535
Board: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131069
Ram 512MB: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820141413
80GB HDD: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822148148
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16817103514
Optical Drive: http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827106046

That all comes to $258.00 without shipping. Add an operating system and a case, you got about $400 to $450.

The Athlon 64 is about the same price as the Celeron and will take it to school--especially on the every day stuff. Use 2x256MB of RAM so it will run in dual channel mode.

This is an ASUS board--good quality, and I put in a power supply that is known to be reliable and stable.

You did a good job of finding compatible components, but consider these. They give you a little more power for your money. This would make an excellent web surfer/emailer/office work rig for you.

#4 ·
OK, thanks a lot telegramsam!

As always I would appreciate any help regarding this topic.

I have another question, I would probably be using XP Home on this machine as well as another I plan on building in the future, does anybody know about the cost of purchasing operating systems for more than one computer? Is it better to buy a single or multiple license?

Thanks,

#5 ·
Alright, I was searching Newegg for cases and I came up with the one in the link below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811190056

I honestly don't want to spend much on this computer as I would also have to buy a screen with it (19" Hanns-G). Would this case work with it and do I have to replace the PSU?

Thanks,

#6 ·
I think this is still the cheapest way to buy an operating system. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832116169

It's to your advantage to a disc for every license/computer. I'd just stick with that. $90 isn't bad for XP, really.

For cases--I know you're trying to save money, but having a cheap power supply on your brand new parts is just asking to have the whole computer destroyed. It does happen.

Antec makes good quality power supplies, how about this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129012

That's still not the best PSU, but Antec's have a good reputation for being reliable. I did notice that the case you're looking at is $54.00. The PSU I suggested is $26.00. You should easily be able to find a decent case for around $30.00. Use the advanced search at Newegg and filter out cases with power supplies, and you'll see all of them. You can sort by lowest price and find something you like that has a comfortable cost. Surprisingly, when you do that search/filter, you'll find a bunch of cases that are around $30.00.

Also--IMPORTANT--remember that you have a microATX board here. Make sure your case supports it. ATX is the most common, but many of them will say they support ATX/MicroATX--both form factors. So pay attentiont to that. The case you have there doesn't mention mATX.

#7 ·
I know you meationed BUILDING a PC... but as you said, you never done this before and you're just doing basic things with your system.

I recommend you simply buy something off the shelf, ready to go.
Many stores: Frys/CompUSA/Bustbuy sell AMD64 systems with 512mb/DVD-RW for about $400~500. In Walmart - I've seen a Compaq System (AMD64-3500/512/160gbHD/DVD-re) and a 17" LCD go for $550! Just replace the crappy keyboard and mouse for an HP Media Keyboard ($25) and Logitech optical mouse ($15).

For a budget system, its very difficult to build as cheaply as a pre-built HPaq. Remember, you need to add the OS ($100~140), mouse/Keyboard ($40) and maybe a monitor.

I'd get a WindowsXP version at this time.

What Telegramsam listed is a much better deal (performance wise) - but I would recommend this case/PSU combo than the sparkle PSU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129012

Its $70, with the PSU installed - the case is very nice and easy to work with. The PSU, if you bought it off the shelf would be $50.

(PS; slightly off subject, but walmart is actually selling a VISTA PC for $500 with a 15" LCD and 256mb of RAM! HUH?! 256mb runs XP rather slow)

#8 ·
Compiler said:
(PS; slightly off subject, but walmart is actually selling a VISTA PC for $500 with a 15" LCD and 256mb of RAM! HUH?! 256mb runs XP rather slow)
256MB. Sad.
They'll sell 50 million of them too. :down:

BTW--compiler is right. For budget boxes, you CANNOT beat the HP/Compaq, Dell, etc machines. They actually do use pretty good quality components, and you simply cannot build for those prices.

However, if you are doing this to learn how to build, and get your hands dirty, by all means, jump to it! Even if you pay a little more, you are getting a PC that doesn't come with the crapware, and the satisfaction of knowing YOU put it together from a bunch of boxes. That's worth something all in itself!

#9 ·
telegramsam said:
256MB. Sad.
They'll sell 50 million of them too. :down:

BTW--compiler is right. For budget boxes, you CANNOT beat the HP/Compaq, Dell, etc machines. They actually do use pretty good quality components, and you simply cannot build for those prices.

However, if you are doing this to learn how to build, and get your hands dirty, by all means, jump to it! Even if you pay a little more, you are getting a PC that doesn't come with the crapware, and the satisfaction of knowing YOU put it together from a bunch of boxes. That's worth something all in itself!
You're right, that is very sad. Probably a no-name brand though.

Anyways, I am doing this to learn how to build a PC. I will be doing this in the future, so I'd like to get started now.

Alright, should I go with the Antec case you mentioned?

PS: I probably won't be doing this for another two weeks, the reason is that I have to make sure I have enough money to do this.

Thanks,

#10 ·
I actually have a question about the Antec case, does it come with all necessary wires?

Thanks.

PS: Would I be safe going with a barebones and a Intel Celeron D to save some money?

-Simon

#11 ·
1) Yeah, I'd agree the Antec case is probably better than a cheapie case and a Sparkle PSU.

2) The Celeron was what we were trying to get away from--you got the Athlon64 for nearly the same price-and the performance difference is HUGE. There's nothing wrong with Celerons, but if you can get something better for just a little more money, it's well worth the expenditure.

3) Barebones kits are NOT the right way to build PC's as a hobbyist. If you bought a PC from say, Walmart that had 256MB of Ram and was expected to run Vista, you might be looking at a barebones PC. Cheap PSU's, crappy cases, outdated technology...etc. The list is endless. If you want to learn to build, buy all the parts and put it all together.

The Antec PSU will have all the power wires you need. The motherboard will come with your IDE and SATA cables. The case will have standoffs, screws, and the wires for front USB and Audio (if equipped as such). With the list above, you'll get everything you need except one thing:
I'd recommend picking up a tube of Artic Silver Thermal Compound for your CPU. Other than that, you're on your way!

#12 ·
OK! Thanks for the info and the help telegramsam!

Now, I have a question about the CPU, do I solder it onto the motherboard or do I just attach it with wires. You can obviously see I'm pretty much an amateur with building computers. :)

#14 ·
Alright, thanks all!

Just another question, how much will this all cost with the OS? By the way, I also need an Ethernet hook up so I can hook up my DSL, I'm not sure if that is included.

Thanks,

Does anybody know any good LCD monitors for people who are on a budget? Thanks!

#15 ·
Bump.

#17 ·
OK, thanks!

Now, while I am seriously considering doing this, I am wondering how much work goes into building your own computer. Is it hard to do? About how much time would it take for a beginner like me? Would I be able to do all these things from the manuals?

Thanks,

#18 ·
I was in almost the same position you were in a couple weeks ago. How much work? One way of looking at it is that you screw in the board, plug in the cd drive, hd, etc. and your good to go. However, there is also installing for example the PSU, if ur buying a seperate one, then the chip, w/ extreme caution. This took me a good week while I was on Christmas break. But, I worked on it no more than 2 hours a day. So, if you clear all your appoinments for a day or two, I'm guessing that you could get this done.

The manuals will help you a tremendous amount. I used to be the type to just open the box and start building. But, when it comes to a computer, the w/o the manuals you'll be dizzy. I would say the motherboard would be the most important manual, since this is where it tells you to screw it on the tray right (ex. w/ insulation, or gold pins) also how to install the CPU, and also all the plugs (ex. power wires, reset, floppy, etc.)

By the way, I saw you chose a seperate PSU, and also a case with a power source, idk, I may of made a stupid mistake

#19 ·
Dungeonguard: Here is some info you micht find useful.
http://www.build-your-own-computers.com/pc-hardware-basics.html

There are many other sites that will teach you how to build a PC. Take your time, read the instructions, and put her together. It's not rocket sceince. If you're handy with tools you will have no trouble.

#20 ·
Set aside a day. Take breaks, take your time and be careful. Many of the components are fragile. Dropping a hard drive can ruin it. Dropping the power supply into the case on the motherboard....you get what I mean. Also take precautions to keep static shock under control. Ground yourself before you touch any component and NEVER set a component on the outside of a static bag.

Read everything first. Remember you're trying to enjoy it and learn instead of bust through it in a hurry, and you'll be fine.

#21 ·
telegramsam said:
yeah , good your steering poster away from celeron, really 939 is great for a budget system, Antec case, Asus, Kingston, Lite-on, Seagate, really sounds like a solid system.
really I wouldnt even bother with the Artic Silver stuff, buy Retail CPU comes with thermal pad, works fine, 939's just dont get that hot at all, its not the Barton, not even close. 939, hsf's are easy as pie to install for first timers also, no screw driver needed, drop the cpu in, flip the level, youre done.

#22 ·
#24 ·
#25 ·
I'm sorry to say SOFWhiteWolf, I would much rather learn how to build a computer rather than get a... well, not very good one.

#26 ·
That is the $500 PC they have on store shelves at walmart (I was wrong about the RAM) - and it comes with VistaBasic... and a tiny 14" (Stretched to 15") LCD screen. 1GB is the actual MIN Vista should have. Otherwise opening up a program (lets say Word) on XP may take 5secs vs 20+ secs on Vista - if both PCs have 512mb.... Besides the Loooong list of incompatiblities of vista, at this moment- its useless as a gaming systems or anything else besides web-browsing. Which case, any pre-built Linux system can do that easily.

Anyways - Dungeonguard:
1 - Don't worry about artecSilver or whatever - get the RETAIL AMD-64 CPU (3500+/ x2 4200) - whatever you can afford. The CPU comes with its own fan with thermal pad. No mess. 1 GB of RAM (2x 512) if ya can.

2 - Pick up WindowsXP MCE or Home for about $100~110.

3 - Take your time. Read everything. I've built hundreds of computers. I still read the manual on new hardware or have it for reference when I build. Memory modules may require a different type of installation from one brand of motherboard to the next.

4 - Look at the links provided - which was a good price, an AMD939 board by ASUS (Excellent quality), etc. If you get a BARE-BONES, then why bother with all this? The one you originally posted was junk... as many of them are. And the savings isn't in there... With a bare-bones, you drop in your CPU, RAM and HD and turn it on and install an OS.

You might as well have bought a pre-built Hpaq for less. This is why I gave you such a recommendation from your original post. But if you want to LEARN to build - gotta go from scratch.

5 - the ANTEC case i recommend is the lowest-end I was good with, period. But it is excellent for the price and nice to work with. (I usually work with $100/$150~200 for PSU/Case combos) - I used that case because a SONY's PSU was failing on a P4 and the PSU was a custom design that if I COULD find it, would be $80. The case/PSU combo was cheaper and when it came time to upgrade the MOBO, I'd have a standard ATX case to work with rather than a mini case (4 expansion slots).

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.