1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new computer registry shuts down

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parasees, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parasees

Parasees Thread Starter

ok friend comes to me her computer freezes takes 15 to 20 times a try to get it up and running. A friend of hers gave her xp....which she installed over WinME she never had a problem till xp was put on her system. We took it to fix it after 3 formats and hours of waiting we finally got ME back on with the restore disk. After one half hr the motherboard blew smoke everywhere(a small chip started glowing right before it blows) needless to say she needed to get a new comp. Too many other things she needed was cheaper to get a new comp. I do believe the xp was the culprit as her friend downloaded it off the internet and burned.(fadenglow maybe). Not like it was an original and burnt off the cd. So I find her a good comp for her price for what she needs I suggest it but she goes to best buy gets a cheaper one Emachine...100.00 bucks cheaper she gives me the 100.00 for my time. We get the machine up and going and before everything we put up the firewall as msblaster is going to come soon as u hit the net... nortons antivirus is on came with the machine.. go into registry and search and it shuts down wont stay up. go to the internet d/l the update needed before fixblast can be run? its not there. only 2 updates once all is loaded search for msblast (teekids)teekeids) nothing machine is clean.
    we leave she loads nortons full version she bought as the machine only came with 90 day trial.. nortons wont load. says its running when u alt ctrl del under performances... no icon cant find it.... registry wont search for anything... she spends hour on a long distance call to emachine no 1800 for canada... they tell her she has msblast and 4 other worms because it was connected to the internet before nortons was on... and she will have to restore...7 steps in all... now emachine tech have blamed us ... after many formats and installs of xp I have never had 4 worms come with msblast... just its variants. Several times there was no anitvirus and still no problems... needless to say we will return the 100.00 since she took emachine back and went and got the other one suggested..100.00 is a bit pricey just to find out your motherboard is going to blow...What did we do wrong???

2. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Hello Parasees and welcome to TSG.

The first thing I would have done was to explain to my friend that what they did by trying to load a pirated copy of WinXP is not only illegal but will, 99.9% of the time, cause such massive problems that the only recourse is to wipe the hard drive and start over by reinstalling the original OS, which in itself is a pain in the butt if you have to reload using a recovery disk. Another thing that I do is to make note of the overall condition of the computer (age, dust accumulation, specs, etc.) and advise the customer of any problems I see or suspect before I agree to work on it and explain to them the ramifications of doing something that I feel the computer is not equipped to handle. In other words......I cover my butt.

Unfortunately, things do happen such as the mobo blowing while in your possession. All you can do then is document and show the defective part to the customer and make a suggestion on how to proceed. Personally, I wave any charges that have accrued up to that point. (Now you can see why I take the time to inspect the system first because most of the time a swollen capacitor, discolored chips, etc. are easily noticable and the customer knows upfront that a catastrofic failure is certain at some point in time, probably sooner rather than later.)

I think that by accepting the $100.00, you unknowingly left the impression with your friend that you would get them up and running to their liking no matter what system they purchased. The problem is by doing so you left yourself open for blame for any warranty issues that might crop up, which is exactly what the E-Machine tech support tried to do. I would have told my friend that since the machine is new and under warranty they should contact the vendor or manufacturer if they had a problem or wanted to upgrade something. By the way, the emachine people are full of crap.

Please don't take this post as criticism since it is certainly not what I intended it to be. It is simply my opinion on what went wrong.

Take care,

Kilowatt

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice