1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Computer Restarts Randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by colc8270, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. colc8270

colc8270 Thread Starter

I have just recently built 2 new computers, same exact components about a month ago. One of them works great, the other restarts randomly usually when installing something. The windows error files are mini.dmp and sysdata.xml and when I send the error report it tells me thats its a hardware error with either : CPU, Motherboard, RAM, or Power Supply. I have replaced all and still have the random restarts. I have run memtest86 with no errors. I don't know what else to do. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Flags

Flags

colc: May be a heat problem. Try reseating the CPU/heatsink/fan using Arctic silver or another thermal paste. A thin coating is all you need. Too much and you defeat the purpose.
    Hope it helps.

3. colc8270

colc8270 Thread Starter

Thanks, but I've already used Arctic Silver and checked the temperatures of the motherboard and processor and they're not hot at all. Any other ideas?

4. Flags

Flags

It restarts only when you are installing something. Does it run OK at all other times?

Check the mobo's Capacitors. See if there is any bulging.

Any possibility of a short between the mobo and case?

You might have to take it apart and reassemble it out of the case w/only CPU, PSU. 1 stick of ram and video card. You may know the drill, it's mentioned often in this forum.

5. blkwlnt64

blkwlnt64

Hi colc8270, Could you send us the hardware specs on both pcs and are they both using the same OS ?

6. colc8270

colc8270 Thread Starter

Asus P5VDC-MX Board Temp always around 28 celsius
    Pentium D945 Dual Core CPU (Arctic Silver Applied) Temp always around 42
    GSkill Dual Channel unbuffered non ecc Ram (2 x 1gb sticks)
    ATI Radeon x1650 Pro 512mb Graphics Card
    250 gb WD SATA Drive
    Antec Basiq 500 W Power Supply

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice