1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New computer running out of ram

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jvinson549, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jvinson549

jvinson549 Thread Starter

Just built a new one with a AMD Athlon 1333-266mhz, ASUS A7V266-E Motherboard, 512 DDR SDRAM, and a ATI Radeon 7200 AGP video card. Windows ME operating system.
    Have a 40 GIG Maxtor hard drive fo the primary and a 40x Acer cd drive on the secondary master with a 10 gig slave. This thing will slowly run out of ram until it locks up!

Need some help, I have a 700Mhz with a FIC motherboard loaded to the hilt with goodies that will kick this one's butt!

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

jvinson549
    Welcome to TSG!
    I suspect your situation is not a RAM related problem but a resource problem.
    Win98/98SE/ME
    The problem your having may be a low on resource situation caused by many programs starting up.
    Windows has a little cache, 64K in size, it uses to control all the action.
    This cache when it starts to fill will manifest itself in slowdown performance, jerky cursors, system hangs, and sometimes a low on memory message alert.
    This cache is totally independent of you Ram, Hard drive size or any other high power functions.
    Removing most of those programs from your startup group will definitely improve performance and most will start on demand.
    Go to start/run type in msconfig and enter. Select the startup tab and and make sure these remain checked:
    *statemgr (WinME only), systray, scanregistry, loadpowerprofiles (both), Tweakui if there,
    and any antivirus/firewall programs you have.

also Review the other startup items here to see if they also can be eliminated.
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

Let us know how it goes.
    Dave

3. jvinson549

jvinson549 Thread Starter

I now have these programs on the bootup: Explores, System Properties, Pop3 trap, Wep3trap, Systray, PCCIOMON.
    The trap & PCC are Trend Anti-virus.

I have 92% ram at this point.

This is better than before.

I open and closed these programs in order and checked the available ram after each.

1. Media player 87%
    2. Easy Chef 86%
    3. MS word 2000 84%
    4. Music Matchbox 81%
    5. MS Excel 2000 84%
    MS Movie maker 81%

The changes seem to have sped tha system up, but it seems that it is not giving the RAM back after the program is closed. I have not yet run a large program.
    Thanks for the help.

4. Davey7549

Davey7549

jvinson549
    The Ram will not be released\vacated so to speak since unused Ram is wasted Ram. Windows will use every bit of Ram to keep current programs and anticipated programs loaded so it can be retrieved quickly on demand and not have to go to the hard drive to be retrieved exactly when you need it. To test what I am saying find a program that is rather large that you have not used since startup and load the program. Record how long the program takes to load and also watch the hard drive light if you have one and see it is also lit while the program loads. Now close that program. After close, reopen that same program. Do you notice a significant difference in load time? You should because the program is now in your Ram and the system does not have to spend time accessing the slow in comparison hard drive. The resources you are looking at is not the Ram used. It is the amount of availability in your resource table.
    Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice