1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New computer Shutting down Randomly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Calrich565, Apr 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calrich565

Calrich565 Thread Starter

Hey all, I decided to take the plunge with my tax return money and buy a whole new rig. (Win XP pro Sp3)

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS4P LGA 775 Intel P45
    EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
    CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V 2.2
    Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower

At first I had a Seasonic 600W power supply, the computer was working fine until randomly one day it turned off without warning. When attempting to reboot the computer, it would turn on for a split second then turn off again. After attempting to boot up for a while it turned back on.

I decided to replace the PSU because I believed it was the problem (I now use the Corsair.) Tonight however, the problem decided to jump back into my face again.

If I unplug everything but the PSU, Mobo, Processor, and Video card the problem still persists. (Turns on for a split second then turns off again)

I'm starting to believe its the motherboard. I use Coretemp as a temperature monitor and Core 0 is usually at 50 C while core 1 can fluxuate from 60-77 C.

Any help is greatly appreciated, as this problem has been far to frustrating to live with at this point.

2. CJS23

CJS23

Hi
    My friend was experiencing a similar problem and it turned out to be the CPU fan not being firmly attached.

I think you're on the right lines as regards troubleshooting. Physically check ALL connections are seated correctly. Remove CMOS battery to reset settings.

Once battery back in and it reboots make sure it has lost the date and time to confirm reset.

Enter BIOS setup screen (if you can get this far) and look for Hardware Monitor or similar. Keep an eye on the CPU temp. It should remain fairly constant as not under load.

In my experience it is usually but not always related to either CPU temperature or the PSU being faulty. Over the years I have had more faulty PSUs than an other component.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/819048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice