1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New computer, Sony or Compaq ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kara, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kara

Kara Thread Starter

Thought I'd put this in here too (have it in the community section also)

Getting a new computer to replace my Compaq 4000 series (333 I think)

While I like the Compaq and customer service has been tremendous, not to happy HP owns it now.

What I am looking at is a Sony RX850 and a Compaq 6470.
    Both Pentium 4, 512 Ram. Differences are...
    Compaq 2.5, Sony 2.4
    Compaq has 120GB, Sony 80
    Compaq RW 48X12X42, Sony 42x12x40
    Compaq 2 or 3 expansion slots, Sony 6, and a Memory Stick port.
    Compaq 64 MB Gaphics Memory, Sony 32.
    I will be mostly using this for, business, accounting, songs, etc. Not much at all in the gaming field.
    Could only find a link for the Sony
    http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3533054#detailed

Anyone either have one of these or any opinions on either would be much appreciated. Please note I have to pick these (or an E Machine, don't have a choice to build one)
    Thanks in advance.

Kara

2. roosterman

roosterman

IMHO, i would go with the compaq.

how much of a price difference between the two (or is price even an issue) ?

the compaq has a lot better options in my opinion. however, like you said, HP owns them now and i'm not exactly a big fan of HP.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, I'll never buy something that has a Sony label on it, so if these are the only two choices, I'd go with the Compaq. OTOH, I am not much of a fan of the major brand PC's, because when it comes time to upgrade, they're typically the hardest to upgrade. They also typically have fewer RAM slots, expansion slots, and cut corners with most of the hardware components.

This probably doesn't help with the decision, but it had to be said. :D

4. Kara

Kara Thread Starter

Sorry, should have stated that, the Compaq is $100. more.

I've had this compaq for I think 5/6 years and though I had a few minor problems it has been very good and everytime I called customer support they were great. I had an HP before this one, retuned it after 5 mths. (was my first computer), had major problems loading anything then went dead (blue screen), customer service was horrendous (cut off the 800 # for Canada and gave me a long distance # in the States to call) but the Compaq was great at the time from the HP horror.

I guess if I get Compaq I would just hope that the takeover being so recent HP hasn't had a chance to screw things up ;) Can't even find any info on the web on the Compaq model.

I think from all I've read on the net about these machines trying too figure out what to get, I should go back to pencil and paper (lmao) I think it's like cars, hoping you don't get one that was built on a Friday.

I appreciate the time and comments, thanks :)

5. roosterman

roosterman

johnwill has made a valid point, name brand pcs can be hard to upgrade in the future.

i know that you said building one was not an option, but if you can have someone build one for you, you could even get a better deal. i like custom built ones better myself.

good luck and hope you get a good one.

roosterman

6. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

I don't work for them or anything but how about a Dell? :)

I did a little work on a friend's new Dell recently and it was really easy to work with. Case folds open just like the Apple G4's. Everything was really organized inside too. All the drives use slide in rails. Extra rails included. From what I've heard, their customer support is good.

Are your options reduced because you are buying from a local retail store?

7. Kara

Kara Thread Starter

Yes, returning something but can only trade it for something else.
    (laptop or desktop) (maybe should ask and go for a widescreen TV ;) )

Saw those new Apples, boy are they nice (they don't carry them though, plus their pretty pricey, but nice)

Still trying to decide :(

Maybe I should get my Commodore 64 out of the closet ;) lol

8. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Sent my VIC - 20 to computer heaven years ago. :D But I think my Commodore 128 is in a closet somewhere..

Seriously though.. I'd go with the Compaq or the wide screen TV. ;)

9. slipe

slipe

If you have a Compaq and are happy with it a new one would probably be a better choice. I had an old Compaq 166Mhz machine. There were some things on it unique to Compaq that I missed when I had one built to replace it. And those unique Compaq things will probably work in a similar way between your current computer and a new Compaq.

I’ve used HP support and it isn’t that awful. They replaced a CD writer by sending me a replacement in a special box that could be reused to return the old one. It had a RMA filled out and a pre-paid UPS pickup return. I had a pro level HP scanner that I screwed up and support was very kind in not laughing at me for removing Stimon from my msconfig/startup.

Just looking at what I think might be a similar Compaq I think the specs are a lot better than the Sony: http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/...flldfgf.0&product_code=DA219A#ABA&cat_level=4 Click on the “details” pdf sheet.

For one thing the Sony has SIS integrated graphics which is crappy compared to the GeForce4 graphics card with TV out.

The Sony has only 3 PCI slots and one of them has a modem. The other slot (4X AGP) holds only a graphics card, and you would do much better to purchase the Compaq if you think you might want a better graphics card. The Compaq has 3 slots as well but only one is available with the modem and ethernet card installed – the Sony has integrated ethernet.

HP burners use Record Now software which is much better than the B’s software that Sony bundles. Overall I like the Compaq software package better.

Everything is just a little better on the Compaq as I look at the specs. They both have little mini motherboards common to mid level name brand computers. They aren’t very expandable or upgradeable, but most people just use what they have until it is time for a new one. We hobbyists build our own so we can upgrade stuff and would never consider a mini-ATX board – but you will likely never know the difference unless you want to add a bunch of stuff and run out of slots.

The memory stick slot is useless unless you have a Sony camera that uses them. Nobody else uses memory sticks that I know except Konica, and they are changing to xD.

I like the Compaq a lot better and would pay a little more for it. I notice the messaging system is still included and that was better than any aftermarket package I’ve seen.

The Sony you linked has a 32X CD writer where the Compaq has a 40X – no big deal. All things being equal I would rather have a 40X, but I don’t use re-writable media and the Sony is a little faster at that. Same for 120Gig HD rather than 80. Add a decent graphics card and slightly faster processor and the Compaq is a little better machine.

Avoid the Apple – the emulation mode to run your PC stuff is slow. And getting new Mac software is pricey.

10. compilerxp

compilerxp

Many valid points..

Sony makes VERY good CD-R drives... but their "software" called B's that is included is PURE JUNK! (I would say much harsher words about it...) Its the WORST thing in the world I ever touched... give me CD-Creator 2.0!

Here is some POINTS I would like to add with my recent experince with SONY computers... I REPAIR, build and upgrade people's computers.

1 - I was working on a client's semi-old SONY Notebook. About 18months old. I had to reinstall a CLEAN Windows onto the system... including re-paritioning the HD. I wanted to get the latest drivers from their website... which TOOK forever to navigate to. For a computer this "young" - they had a BIOS update and 1 driver available.... nothing else of value!

If you go to DELL, HP or Compaq you will find DRIVER pages for computers that are 4-5 years old.... Dell even has basic info pages for computer they built in the 80s!

2 - Before the above - I tried to help a client buy the SONY 1" thick notebook. The online-ordering system BARFED... pain in the rear and didn't work. Called by voice to order it. SONY screwed that up as well. Went to DELL.COM, ordered and got the notebook no problems.

3 - Consider a DELL... not bad computers for a name brand... if you must have an INTEL with WindowsXP. Otherwise go for an AMD. 2000mhz (or class) CPUs are more than enough to handle WORD and internet. note, on-board video chips seems to choke on Windows XP's graphical interface more than a GeForce3~4 or ATI 9000 and better.

4 - When you get your new WindowsXP box - remember than M$ has rights to your computer and data. Firewall it with ZoneAlarm... be aware your info is SENT to them. (Come ON Linux - get your desktop market going).

11. Kara

Kara Thread Starter

Thanks everyone, appreciate you taking the time to give your opinions and the reasons behind them and the time to compare the two, it's very much appreciated.

The Sony I liked and heard some good things about them, plus they are well known but Sony hasn't been out a long time and that's the same thing I got into when I got HP.

Glad I asked as there seems to be alot more downside with the Sony and as pointed out the Compaq seems to be the better buy, so I'm going to go with that :)

Will probably get the new baby tomorrow :)

Will be on again asking how I tranfer everything over, etc.

Look for my new username.... HELP! ;)

Thanks again all, very much appreciated :)

12. Kara

Kara Thread Starter

and thanks for the heads up compilerxp, I'll get the ZoneAlarm :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116078

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice