1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New computer suddenly unable to boot! help!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ghostofwinter, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ghostofwinter

ghostofwinter Thread Starter

hey guys

I've got a new cpu that I just built in january. initially it gave me some problems but I managed to sort that out, and it worked fine for about 3 months. however last weekand recently I've started to get new problems.

when I switch o the cpu, sometimes it works fine. more often than not, it will freeze up on me. there are 3 scenarios when this happens:

first, it will go to the loading screen ( the one with your motherboard manufacturer and model with alll the pretty pictures and such) next, one of 3 things will happen:

1) it freezes there and I wait really long and nothing happens.
    2) it will go next to a black screen which says: select proper boot device and re-bbot the computer.
    3) it will go to a black screen and say: a disk read error occured. press ctrl-alt-delete to restart.

if 1) occurs, after about 5 minutesit will go to a black screen which tells me all my comp specs etc etc etc such as processor, RAM frequency, etc etc. at the end part something catches my attention : it says 3rd slave harddisk S.M.A.R.T failed. I have no idea what that means.

If however, the computer boots fine, one of 2 things cna happen- it works alright and is perfectly fine OR it hangs halfway through whatever thing I'm doing. so far I have even seen one blue screen .

I think that this is a hard-disk related problem, and has probrably nothing to do with the operating system. what is puzzling is that if it's a hard disk problem it should fail to boot all the time. not only sometimes. plus, my hard disk is NEW, and its from seagate, a normally reliable brand which I have never encountered problems from before.

I have chekced my BIOS setup and the boot device is correct- it should be booting from the hard disk. but this problem still crops up. I've also run a check for any bad sectors of my hard disk but it seems alright. I doubt a virus cna cause this sort of problem.

I hope you guys can help! thanks

2. simelwill

simelwill

Have you checked all connections to make sure they are really secure?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!