1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New computer will not boot anymore; I think I killed it :(

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FallenOne, Jan 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FallenOne

FallenOne Thread Starter

Hello All,
    I would be greatful for any advice you can offer; here are the specs on the new computer I just put together:

ASARock 939Dual-SATA2 MB
    AMD Athlon64 3500+ CPU
    WesterDigital 7200 WD800JD 80Gb HDD
    Aspire ATX-AS520W PSU
    NEC ND-3550A Drive
    1Gig Corsair DDR-400 Ram

I got WinXp on there, was installing some software, and weird things kept happening. I kept getting error reports, of the variety that says that the program must be shut down and asks if I want to send an error report to the vendor. This was happening a lot, especially with installation programs that worked on my other computer just days before.
    Also, I kept getting the Blue Screen of Death telling me that I may have a software or hardware problem, after which the computer would simply reboot, or lock up completely.

At this point, the computer has ceased to function entirely. It refuses to boot and I get no POST beep, and I can't enter the BIOS. All the hardware appears to be working and my cooling fans are all functioning, so I don't think this is an overheat, though who knows. I've checked all the connections and they are fine. I just want to know what could have caused me to go from running smoothly on day 1 to dead on day 3.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. illidan

illidan

wow.it died a slow and painful death.you got everything snapped in completely? same thing happened when i didnt push new ram all the way in.

3. dobbelina

dobbelina

Try re-seating the ram and test it with memtest.
    It should pass at least one "pass" without errors.Memtest
    You can choose to run it from either a bootable floppy or CD, freeware.

4. Old Bob

Old Bob

FallenOne,

What was this "some software" that you tried to install ???

5. FallenOne

FallenOne Thread Starter

The "some software" was things like adaware, spybot S&D, Symantec Antivirus Corporate, Steam for CounterStrike, DivX, nothing crazy.

I tried reseating the RAM, but now when I start the thing up the post gives me three beeps that repeat over and over, what does that mean? I don't want to turn it back on until I know what that means.

THanks for the quick replies by the way.

6. NightLord

NightLord

Check all other components, start with video card. Just take it out and put it back in.
    Try to run your comp with the minimum of devices attched and see what happens.

Cheers

/NL

7. Old Bob

Old Bob

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/431230

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice