New computer won't charge or turn on

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pjones1108

I purchased a new HP Chromebook two weeks ago. I had the device for a week when it quit charging and wouldn't turn on. I took it back to the store and exchanged it. I had the other computer (same brand). I went back to the store and purchased an ASUS chromebook. I also purchased a surge protector. I've had that computer about a week. Last night it was at about 40% charged. It was not plugged in. I got up this morning and same thing. Won't come on and won't charge. Please help!!!! I'm at my wit's end. All of these were purchased at Target

plodr

Liz
Time to check your outlets. It sounds like where you are plugging these units in has no power.
it quit charging and wouldn't turn on.
It won't turn on if the battery is depleted.

Chromebooks can run about 10 hours without being plugged in. So I suspect that when yours is plugged in, nothing is happening and what you see is the wear on the battery (40% left) after a week of using it and putting it to sleep.

I bought a Chromebook in July. It is two months old and I've had no problem with it.

pjones1108

Time to check your outlets. It sounds like where you are plugging these units in has no power.
It won't turn on if the battery is depleted.

Chromebooks can run about 10 hours without being plugged in. So I suspect that when yours is plugged in, nothing is happening and what you see is the wear on the battery (40% left) after a week of using it and putting it to sleep.

I bought a Chromebook in July. It is two months old and I've had no problem with it.
Thank

pjones1108

Thank you. I've tried that. I am a teacher, so I've tried charging it at my home and at my school. It went dead at home, so I brought it to school this morning. When I plugged it in, it would not charge or come on.

blues_harp28

Hi, in a Chromebook all of your data should be saved in Google Drive.
Is that the case with you?
Try Recovery mode
Press and hold Esc + Refresh then press Power on button
Then let go of Power.

To reset the Chromebook that will not start up - turn on and hold down
Ctrl + Alt + Shift + R
Doing the above may remove all data not saved in Google drive.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/1080595
======
If the above does not work returning the Chromebook to the supplier is probably your best bet.

plodr

Liz
I brought it to school this morning. When I plugged it in, it would not charge or come on.
How long did you let it charge BEFORE you tried to turn it on?

If you let it charge for more than 1/2 hour before attempting to turn it on and it did not turn on, then I suspect that your outlet at home is destroying the charge mechanism.

My battery on my chromebook was dead last night so I plugged it in to charge. It takes quite a while to fully charge. I didn't try to use it, I simply opened it to see what percentage of charge was showing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online