1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New computer won't connect to internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Giant Octopus, May 26, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Giant Octopus

Giant Octopus Thread Starter

This question is for my brother. He just bought a new computer. Yet when he tries to connect to the Internet it won't work. He sees our wifi ssid and yet when he types in the password and connects it won't access the internet. It says "connected secured" but the connection lines are all grey (not highlighted) and there is no internet. All our other devices can connect no problem except for his new hp computer.

I also noticed it says wifi 2 rather than the tradional wifi. Could that have something o do with it.

As well recently I disabled my upnp on my router. Could that be effecting any devices from connection to the wifi.

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Try to enter the SSId and security manually. Especially pay attention to the type of security. (WPA-PSK, WPA2, etc etc)
    That info is available in the management of the router and sometimes printed on the outside - provided that it hasn't been changed, naturally.

Disabling Upnp should have no bearing on the ability of devices to connect. As is evident by the other devices you have which are connecting.

3. Giant Octopus

We were able to connect but get this. When we were connecting we were in the dining room. The computer was connected (apparently) but there was no internet signal.We moved the computer right next to the wifi router in the kitchen and we were getting internet signal (barely).

We literally have to be right next to the modem just to get one highlighted bar for signal strength. There is no way the computers wifi receptors can be that weak. My dell computer in the basement which is 20 feet away from my modem upstairs can get three bars of signal strength. This is a HP computer that's brand new. Could some internal wifi card or something be corrupted. There is just no way a new computer built in 2019 has to be within one foot of the router just to get a weak signal.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is an external antenna supposed to be connected to the internal wireless adapter? OEMs assume that customers will be able to attach the antenna, as no tools other than fingers are needed. Of course, there's always the possibility that there was no antenna in the computer container(s).

5. Giant Octopus

I never got any antenna with my computer. Is there such a thing as an antenna that you plug into your computer to pick up a stronger signal from your wifirouter?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Of course. Here is an example of a NIC with dual external antennas.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What is the full model name of the HP computer ? Laptop or Desktop ?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I was assuming desktop. If laptop then probably the antenna leads are loose.

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I was thinking Desktop too but could be wrong hence my question and it might help to know the exact model any way.

10. Giant Octopus

Yes it's a desktop. I tell you when I bought my Dell computer a few years ago and I checked "connections" I can see all my neighbours wifi.

This computer my brother bought which is a HP computer we can only see my connection. And the signal strength lines only light up when the computer is moved into the same room as the router.

Are HP computers really that feeble for wifi?

11. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    No matter if the computer is a desktop or laptop, it should be able to connect out of the box. You did say it was new.
    Take it back to where it was purchased and have them fix the issue.

12. Giant Octopus

13. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So, it's an internal antenna? It may be more convenient (and a lot quicker) to see if the leads (or one of them) are loose rather than immediately returning the PC for repair or replacement.

What (brand and model) is the wireless card?

14. Giant Octopus

How can I tell?

15. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Go into Device Manager and it should tell you. If not, right click on the wireless card then properties. Under the Details tab you should have the Device Description. If the name is not there (i.e Intel, HP, etc) then click on the Property drop down and choose Hardware IDs and notate the VEN and DEV numbers

upload_2019-5-28_9-37-15.png

In my example 8086 is Intel.

Go to https://devicehunt.com and input your VEN and DEV numbers and it should show you what is the actual name of the wireless device.

https://devicehunt.com/search/type/pci/vendor/8086/device/15D6
    This is what it should look like

As to looking inside the computer, from what I can see the card should look like this:

upload_2019-5-28_9-37-0.png

Make sure these connections (should look like J1 and J2) are secure. It's possible these cables/antenna are bad or the card itself.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice