1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New computer won't play/write DVD's

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Buzzmcs, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Buzzmcs

Buzzmcs Thread Starter

I recently bought a refurbished Dell OptiPlex GX620 computer that came supplied with XP Pro S2 and S3 installed, a DVD/CD RW device and a floppy drive installed. I installed a Nero 6 program that I used with my old Win 98SE system and was able to copy files and folders from my old computer to be transferred to the new one. Yesterday (4/2/10) I tried to play a DVD and nothing happened. I chose to run E: and saw the various chapters available on the DVD but when I went into Media Player 11, it told me that it could not play the DVD. I tried another DVD but got the same notice. The notice window suggested that I move my video resolution down to 640Xxxx and lower my colors down to 16 bit from 32 bit. I also tried that but no joy. Can anyone suggest what might be happening here? I have a 3.6 Gig processor in this rig so I don't think it's a speed problem. Will appreciate any help anyone can give.

Buzz Jameson

2. Megabite

Megabite

Do you know what video adapter is in that PC?

3. stantley

stantley

What was the exact error message?

4. Buzzmcs

Buzzmcs Thread Starter

To answer Megabite: I don't know what vidio adaptor, if any, is on the computer. All I know is it has on-motherboard graphics by Intel.

To answer Stantley: The exact message is as follows:

Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video. You might need to adjust your Windows display settings. Open display settings in Control Panel and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings.

5. Megabite

Megabite

I think you may not have a video card driver installed.....do you know your Service tag as there are 4 drivers for that model

Find your Service Tag
    Entering the service tag of your Dell computer or peripheral helps Dell deliver solutions tailored to the products you own. Your Service Tag is a unique five- to seven- digit alphanumeric (letter and number) code, which is found on a white bar-coded label affixed to your Dell computer or peripheral.

6. stantley

stantley

7. Buzzmcs

Buzzmcs Thread Starter

To answer Megabite: The service tag code is as follows: H6956C1

To answer Stantley: I will look at the VLC site. Do you know if this program also writes to DVD and CD'S?

8. Megabite

Megabite

9. stantley

stantley

Let's see if you can play DVD's first before we address the burning problem. Can you play CD's?

You can use Nero for burning.

10. Buzzmcs

Buzzmcs Thread Starter

To answer Megabite: Which one do I pick? There are about 10 different drivers listed on the site. Sorry to ask such questions but I'm not exactly the sharpest tack in the box.

11. stantley

stantley

Before you install a driver try VLC player. I'm thinking you can't play DVD's is because you don't have a DVD decoder.

Does WMP play other video OK?

12. Megabite

Megabite

The Video Intel driver at the bottom under Video

13. Buzzmcs

Buzzmcs Thread Starter

To answer Stantley: Downloaded and installed VLC player but no joy. It says it can't open the DVD files. I tried seval different DVD's but still the same; no joy. Now I'm going to try the driver. I don't understand what's happening here. I could play any DVD I wanted on my old Gateway Win 98SE system.

Buzz Jameson

14. Buzzmcs

Buzzmcs Thread Starter

Well guys, neither suggestion works. I installed the new Dell driver and the VLC. VLC plays music CD's just fine but neither VLC nor Media Player will play DVD's. I'm going to give up for now and maybe try Dell support later (depending on what they charge for the "service". Thanks so much for your efforts.

Buzz Jameson

15. Buzzmcs

Buzzmcs Thread Starter

This message for both Megabite and Stantley: My son suggested a progam called "Power DVD8" that he uses in his video production business. I downloaded the company's 30 day trial progam and bingo, it worked. I don't know why but I don't care; now it finally plays DVD's. I want to thank both of you for sticking with me and offering the help you gave me. Thanks again.

Buzz Jameson

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!