New Computer won't start, Help!!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bobcoolos

I build my new Computer last night, i got everything togeather and it wont start. The only thing it does is have a Flash of power for 1 second and then it shuts down instently. No post no cpu beep, no sounds at all. Just dead.

Any suggestions, thanks in advance.

~Da Bob~

bobcoolos

My specs.........

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 FX55 Socket 939 Processor
Mother Board: ASUS A8N Sli Premium
RAM:CORSAIR XMS 1GB 2 x 512MB
Video Cards: 2x eVGA 256mb Geforce 6800Ultra 256MB (512mb vid RAM Total)
Hard Drives: 2x Western Digital Raptor 73GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150
CD/RW/DVD/R/RW: 2x PLEXTOR (sata drives)
Sound:CREATIVE Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum (7.1) Channels PCI Interface w/front Panal
Video Capture: Kworld Video Magician PCI Interface Video Editing Kit w/front panal
Power Supply: Enermax 600w
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional With Service Pack 2
Monitor: HYUNDAI L90D+ Silver 19" 8ms LCD Monitor
Mouse: Logitech MX510 (red)
Keyboard: Saitek Black USB Eclipse Keyboard (with blue back lit keys)
Case: Ultra Demon FX 2B

some piece of hardware is shorting out. Start with the motherboard. If you don't have it installed on the standoffs right, it will short to the case.

take the power connectors off of the hard drive, the cd drive, the floppy, and any case fans. leave just the motherboard and cpu fan hooked up and power it up. what happens...............let us know

bobcoolos

techno_lust said:
some piece of hardware is shorting out. Start with the motherboard. If you don't have it installed on the standoffs right, it will short to the case.
Yes i have it on the standoffs, however there it a big pice of medal under the cpu socket the may be thouching the case, but im not sure if it is or not.

There is nothing in the rule book that says you can't start up your system if it is not in the case. If you suspect the mobo is shorting to case, take it out of the case altogether, lay it on a non conductive surface, put the power lead to it and fire it up and see what happens

Sometimes new cases will ship with a couple of standoffs already installed in the case and the rest in a bag. The problem there is that if the standoffs that were pre-installed do not match the location of the holes on your motherboard and you don't remove them, they will cause a short to case situation.

If you are working with a new case and it already has a few standoffs installed, take them out. Then you want to lay your motherboard into the case overtop of the holes where the standoffs will go. Then move the motherboard to the right just slightly and mark the locations for the standoffs with a sharpie pen through the holes in your motherboard

bobcoolos

techno_lust said:
Sometimes new cases will ship with a couple of standoffs already installed in the case and the rest in a bag. The problem there is that if the standoffs that were pre-installed do not match the location of the holes on your motherboard and you don't remove them, they will cause a short to case situation.

If you are working with a new case and it already has a few standoffs installed, take them out. Then you want to lay your motherboard into the case overtop of the holes where the standoffs will go. Then move the motherboard to the right just slightly and mark the locations for the standoffs with a sharpie pen through the holes in your motherboard
I used my old case b/c i still like it alot. I istalled the standoffs myself and the standoffs matched the holes on my new mother board as well so i left it the same.

In a lil bit im going to do what you said about disconnecting every and im going to hook thing up 1 part at a time. So hopfully in a few hours i can get it up and running.

So your sure it a short huh?

whenever a pc fires up like that for one brief second and immediately shuts down it is usually a symtom of a short

I just put in a new psu and had the same problem. The new psu has a port dedicated for PCI-E video cards but I didn't read the manual so I didn't know that this one modular port was not compatable with a device like the hard drive which is what I hooked up to it.

As soon as I fired it up, it shut down, just like yours is doing. I unhooked the hardrive and the problem went away. Then I read the manual.............

Having a sort situation does not necessarily mean something is defective. It might be that some piece of hardware is just not hooked up right

bobcoolos

techno_lust said:
I just put in a new psu and had the same problem. The new psu has a port dedicated for PCI-E video cards but I didn't read the manual so I didn't know that this one modular port was not compatable with a device like the hard drive which is what I hooked up to it.

As soon as I fired it up, it shut down, just like yours is doing. I unhooked the hardrive and the problem went away. Then I read the manual.............
That may be it too. What did you do to fix your problem? To power the HDDs?

I took the wire that I had the hard drive attached to, that was plugged into the one modular port that was dedicated for PCI-E video cards and plugged it into another open port and that solved the problem.

Antec should have color coded those ports in my opinion

The Antec neopower has four modular ports to plug into. One of them is a few inchs away from the other three but they are all the same color black and they are all the same plug connector type at the point at which they plug into the power supply. But the one that is away from the rest produces higher voltages as required by PCI-E video cards so if you try and hook up a lesser device to it like a hard drive or cd-drive it wont work

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online