1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by karleberts, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. karleberts

karleberts Thread Starter

I just got all the parts for my new computer (this is the first one I have ever built from the ground up). The parts are as follows:

Chieftec Dragon series case
    Asus A7N8X (deluxe) mobo
    512 MB OCZ DDR400 RAM
    Radeon 9700 Pro
    hdd, cd-burner and dvd-rom are out of an older system, and I don't know the exact product names of them.

I hooked up all the parts (sans extra USB, firewire, SATA), and I can't get it to boot. When I press the power button, all the fans turn on, along with the power LED and the onboard LED on the mobo. The cd drives spin and I can hear the hdd clicking for a second. However, nothing shows up on the screen, and it's definitely not finishing the startup process. Also, I don't hear any beeps during the POST, and I have tried installing the case speaker connector both ways, but to no avail. I realize that this is not a very detailed review of the problems I am having, but I really don't know what is going wrong. Is there anywhere anyone knows of that I can get a more detailed how-to for connecting all the cables, because I suspect my problem lies therein. Also, I was just wondering if the screen would work anyway, because it is connected to an AGP card connected to the system (don't know if it needs drivers or anything). Sorry for the lack of detail, but if you have any specific questions that could help to diagnose my problem, please ask them.

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Here's an article from the AMDmb.com forum that may help.

System Troubleshooting Basics

If that doesn't work, go to the Asus forum there and see if anyone with that same motherboard can help.

Good luck.

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there karleberts...

New mother boards are shipped with the CMOS clear jumper configured for "Clear", have you set it to "Normal" ?

4. Jtoast

Jtoast

try to boot with only the cpu/fan, video card, one stick of memory, and power supply connected.

if it boots, then add one component at a time until you find the problem.

if it doesnt, then you should be able to narrow the problem down to one of those 4 components fairly easily.

5. karleberts

I gave that a shot (starting w/ only the 4 components) w/ the case speaker connector both ways, and it still didn't post.

6. karleberts

I also tried moving the ram between all the different slots, and finally removing it completely, still no post.

7. Ian291

Ian291

Hi, Karl,

One thing that crops up quite frequently is an incorrectly fitted graphics card. Try refitting the card making sure that none of the gold coloured teeth are left showing.

Cheers,

Ian

8. Jtoast

Jtoast

check all your front panel connections (main one being power switch and speaker).

next check cpu fan connection and clear cmos jumper as stated above.

if you are POSITIVE everything is as the mb manual says it should be then turn it on again with only the 4 things connected.

if it beeps, count the beeps...will tell you what the problem is.

no beeps=cpu or mb error.

9. torgo

torgo

ASUS got a batch of bad cmos batteries so try this:

-remove your battery and clear the cmos

-install a new battery

- if that does'nt work try taking the board out and putting it on a piece of board(wood, cardboard etc..) with the ps and speaker hooked up(you'll need the on/off button from the mobo/case hooked up too. turn it on, no beeps=dead mobo=call the vendor you got it from for an rma or get ahold of Asus.

heres a good link for nforce2 users with an extensive A7n8x forum http://www.nforcershq.com/

Good Luck:D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice