1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new computer

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by conlo, May 14, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

I have a new computer on order. My old one has internet service with Comcast. Will I be able to use the new one thru wifi, or will I have to pay for an additional internet service ??

2. Goddess-Bastet

Goddess-Bastet

First Name:
    Virginia
    Don’t worry, the new pc will use your current ISP provider via wifi (or Ethernet if you have a spare port on your router).
    Just enter the wifi’s SSID & Passphrase, if you require help to do this please post back.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't say if your newly-purchased computer is a laptop/notebook that has a built-in wireless device or if it's a desktop/tower that has an internal/external wireless adapter.

After you set it up and begin the Windows 10 setup process, it will prompt you to connect to the internet.
    If you're using a wireless connection, select your account name from the list and then enter your security key.
    If all goes well, the wireless connection will activate and the Windows 10 setup process will continue.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  4. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

The new computer is an Asus desk top model K31CD-DS71 WITH BUILT IN WIFI

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    It appears you purchased an ASUS VivoPC K31CD-DS71 desktop which came with Windows 10 Home 64-bit.
    That model desktop appears to have a Realtek or a Qualcomm Atheros wireless device.

Did the Windows 10 setup process go okay?
    Was your wireless account detected and allow you to connect to it?

6. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

I don't know yet. I have not hooked it up to a monitor yet. I just took it out of the box a few hours ago .Can you use two desktop pcs on one monitor. I only have one monitor. My old asus desktop had Windows 7 on it and I was successful in downloading windows 10 for free and it works just fine but I have some issues with it that I cannot set it up with wifi. Techs have told me that I have some corrupt files that is preventing the setup.. I spent $300.oo with WEbroot and after promising to clean mp pc and spending hours with me on the phone, they were unable to setup and get my wifi going in order to get my echo dot working. I also chatted with Comcast my internet provider and Amazon . No one was able to establish the wifi connection, although MY labtop pc and my Kindle fire tablet work ok. Beats me.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If your old ASUS desktop previously was upgraded to and ran Windows 10, and you had issues with it, you should consider doing a "clean" reinstall of Windows 10 in it.
    Doing that will wipe everything out of it and give it a fresh start.

Yes, you can connect 2 desktops to a single monitor and keyboard and mouse, but you need to have a KVM switch.
    I personally have 3 Dell desktops set up in that manner.

It's my guess you don't have the knowledge to do either of the above, so you should consider asking a computer-knowledgeable family member or friend to help you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. conlo

conlo Thread Starter

Thanks again. I was contemplating on purchasing a KVM switch. And yes you are right , on some computer things I am at lost and feel real dumb, but one has to learn. This new computer has wifi built in and I cannot figure out how to set it up. Anyway, thanks for your efforts .

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If your new ASUS desktop has Wi-Fi built into it (regardless of whether it's an internal wireless card or an external USB wireless adapter), you should be able to connect wirelessly during the initial setup of Windows 10.
    A prompt will appear that says it wants to connect to the internet before continuing, and the list of wireless accounts within range of your modem/router will appear.
    Scroll through the list, then click on the entry for YOUR account, then type in the security key for YOUR account, then click "Connect".
    Once Windows 10 detects and connects your desktop to the internet, the Windows 10 initial setup process will continue.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1227144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice