1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by halo422, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. halo422

halo422 Thread Starter

Alright so this is the first computer I've ever built and it cost about $750 so it would be a complete waste to not have it work. I bought all my parts off newegg.com

mobo: ASUS M2A-VM HDMI Socket AM2 AMD 690G uATX AMD
    HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
    RAM: GeIL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Windsor 2.4GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor
    Graphics Card: EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
    Disc Drive: ASUS Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 14X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache PATA DVD Burner with LightScribe
    PSU: Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC ATX 430W Power Supply 115/230 V

my OS is Win XP Media Center 2005
    and my case is APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I had a few minor problems when i first hit the power button but i got it to go into the BIOs setup screen and the BIOs POST screen. When my comp first ran, it had an overclock error in the BIOs post screen saying "*****Warning: System Boot Fail***** Your System maybe overclock fail or post interrupted." I enter the BIOs setup and hit exit and save changes(even though i didnt change anything). it reboots fine and a screen comes up saying hit any key to continue. Everything is running smoothly. I create a new partition, i format the partition(which take about an hour) and then it gets to a screen the says "setup is copying files." the screen is blue with white text and a yellow loading bar. there is a gray bar on the bottom of the screen with black text that says which file is being loaded. Unfortunately it doesn't get past here. The computer will freeze and turn red and its never at a specific file.I'll hold the power button for 4 seconds to turn off my comp. I turn it back on and it takes me to the BIOs post screen with the overclock error from before. My OS did work at one point. I installed the optical drive's driver and that was fine.I went to install the graphics card driver and my comp froze. It gave me that overclock error. At that point my RAM card where in slots 1 & 3. Changed it to slots 1 & 2 after consulting my mobo user guide but it will never get past the 'setup is copying file screen'

plz help i only have a few more days covered by my warranty if i need to return anything

P.S. my graphics card is not plugged in right now because i thought it was giving me the overclock error
    my HD is SATA, my Cd drive is first in boot priority, im getting no beeps when i start my computer

thank you

2. kryptonite1055

kryptonite1055

I have never heard of this problem, but for some reason i am thinking it is something to do with temps. when in bios there should be a tab that will tell you system health or something like that where it will tell you the temps, and the actual voltage that it is getting. For the voltage, there should be one at 3.3V, 5V, battery (normally 5V also.. i think), and a 12V.

leave the computer on for 10 mins and tell us the temps you are getting for the CPU and any other temps that it tells you.

also if you already have a thread started, with the same question, don't add it again, if no one replies in a day or 2, you can add a post to the original thread saying "bump" to get it to the top of the list. or something like that.

3. Compiler

Compiler

The BIOS on that NEW ASUS board (which I have built some units with) tends to do that... even my OLD ASUS Socket A Nforce2 board will do it once in a while "FAILED OVERCLOCK' when there isn't any overclocking ;(

Hit enter to boot/enter bios... live with it or get something else.

I've seen your installation issues, but I can't quite remember what the cause was... I think it was a bad drive. Try a completely new reinstall (not a repair) with 1 stick of RAm... a differnt HD (something small you can test with) etc.

4. halo422

halo422 Thread Starter

thanks for ur guys help but i actually manged to get my comp to work by removing one of the dual channel ram chips and the graphics card

now i need to figure which of the slots to put the 2nd ram chip in and when i plugged in my graphics card i just got a black screen, if u guys could help me with this new problem i'd really appreciate it

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597070

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice