1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hanibal, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hanibal

Hanibal Thread Starter

greetings folks

i would love to have a second third ,ect opinion regarding the purchase of a computer.

i work in the industry, as a comp technician. and i am a hard core gamer. obviously the social aspects have to suffer :)

i most likely will be getting a P4. even though AMD's are cheaper. i am going for reliability and stability, and no fried cpu over cheaper :)

my questions are :

1) am thinking of either a P4 1.9ghz or the new 2ghz with 512 L2 cash.

2) amount of memory some Os use memory better then others. for instances having more then 256 RAM on a 9x Os kind of a waste.
    i will be runing either Win 2k or Win98 ( i rather sleep with a troll then have Me installed :) )

am thinking between 512 RAM or 748RAM

3) video card wise am considering a gforce3 Ti200 64 ram.

4) am getting a regular CDROM none of that DVD, RW stuff.

5) SB live 5.1 and standard speakers

6) microsoft optical mouse, regular keyboard, 40 gig maxtor hard drive, flopy and a dlink nic card ( for DSL)

if you guys care to throw in a few suggestions i would apreciate it. investing in a machine is a big thing for me and i like to share it with you guys.

as a final note, even though am in the business, the last thing i need is to worry about my personnal system. i deal with enough at work. i am looking for stability, reliability. am not much into overclocking and such.

2. angel

angel

I'm not going to comment on much because I'm not really a gamer but I'd almost suggest going with XP over Windows 2000 or Windows 98. I say this because of the point you mentioned with memory. Windows 98 does have some limitations with memory but is much better for gaming than Windows 2000. Flipside, Windows 2000 is much better than Windows 98 for handling memory but isn't great for games. Windows XP is 'supposed' to be a combination of both of those OS's positive aspects.

Just my opinion...

3. Hanibal

Hanibal Thread Starter

hi Angel

thx for your input. the reason am not going with XP is the amount of horror stories i deal with. "supposed" is different then "would"

many games and what not do not run on XP and if they do it is not always in a desirable way. especially when dealing with games that are few years old.

cheers

4. Rockn

Rockn

YOu are skimping on the good stuff my friend!!

1) Get the Athlon....FASTER!!
    2) Whoever told you more than 256MB is a waste is a fool....I used to be of that opinion and have seen the light.
    3) Not sure....do some reasearch and go to a good gaming site for advice.
    4) Get 1 CD-ROM & 1 CD-RW
    5) SB Audigy and 5.1 speakers....you will love it.
    6) Get a 3Com NIC, Optical mouse is fine and get a good gaming pad....USB or Game Port version

Do some research into your Motherboard...YOU WILL NEED ONE!

5. Hanibal

Hanibal Thread Starter

hehehe

i knew i forgot something the mobo. it will be a gigabite mobo. with the i850 chipset.

*sigh* the AMD vs intel debate :) yes AMD faster but it is high maintenance.

am going for at LEAST 512 RDram maybe higher.

am considering instead of the p4 to get the new p4 2ghzA (stil a thought though)

6. Rockn

Rockn

How do you figure it's high maintenence? All you have to do is have it properly cooled (just like InHell) and it takes care of itself.

Don't skimp on the CPU cooling and case cooling either.....

7. Hanibal

Hanibal Thread Starter

am getting the retail box with the HSF that comes from intel.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice