1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nomad, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nomad

nomad Thread Starter

I have recently bought a new computer that did not work, so I sent it back and they could not figure out the problem. They then sent me a new one. I live in a small town so I have to order a computer from the city. When I got the second computer it did not work either. It had the same problem as the first one. The problem is that the computer will randomly reboot, I will be in the middle of something and the next thing I click on .... bang, off it goes and reboots itself. So sometimes it will not reboot itself properly so I have to turn it off, then I can turn it back on for at least 24 hours. All I get when I turn it back on it the fan turning, no video, no beep codes... nothing. So I tried to find the problem through elimination and start unplugging devices, as I am unplugging them (even the video card) I am getting no beep codes. So finally the only thing that is left is the ram and the cpu, I take out the ram and I get ram beep codes, but still my computer will not start. I have replaced the power supply again (this is the 3rd new one) still nothing. By the way, I've checked the computers temperature and it is not overheating. I am getting very frustrated and the people I bought it from can't seem to figue it out, and if I send it back to them again they will charge me to fix it because I put it together and the warranty is void. I have put many together and I have my A+, so this is not an issue. Can someone please help. I have tried tried power from different circuits in my house, to no avail. The only thing that I've seen that may not be right, there's no fibre washers inbetween the legs and the motherboard on the case. The following is my system: nothing is integrated.

TVU4X mobo
    Pentium 866
    256 mb ram
    ati fury video
    sb sound
    real tek nic card
    laser mouse
    8mb hard drive (not new)
    6x10x32 cdrw (not new)
    win 2000 pro

2. gethedge

gethedge

an 8 mb hd? I am assuming that was a typo.

Does the hd you speak of happen to be PC133 and the m/b only support pc100 or something? You are more knowedgable than I, and it seems less likely since it works some of the time. I don't know, just a thaught

3. Chris A

Chris A

Who makes that Motherboard?? Never heard of a TVU4X I did a few searches to see if there were any known issues with that board and came up with nothing..

To be honest though it sounds as if your motherboard is the problem...

4. nomad

nomad Thread Starter

Sorry it is a 8gb hdd, and the second mistake is the mobo is a tuv4x. I dont think it is the mobo that is the problembecause it is the second one that was put in.

5. nomad

nomad Thread Starter

The only thing that I've seen that may not be right, there's no fibre washers inbetween the legs and the motherboard on the case. Do these have to be there.

6. brianF

brianF

Damn, asus doesn't have much info on it.

Does it have jumpers, have you set them accordingly for you processor

fsb at 133 multiplier set to 6.5

7. nomad

nomad Thread Starter

The speed is set up in the bios. Im still wandering about the fiber washers that are place on the screws inbetween the mother board and the case. Are these necessary, because they were not there?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice