1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silverado4, Jan 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silverado4

silverado4 Thread Starter

I need advise on a new Intel I7 Computer. I'm looking to replace my soyo computer 2 gig Windows XP with a new intel I7.
    I also need a new flat panel monitor. I'm looking for something maybe with Office suite, newest version. Anyone have any good suggestions. I know that newegg and tiger direct, sometimes have deals where you pay, but get rebates later. I want to make sure it's a good one, with about 12 gig of the latest ram.
    What is the latest ram / processor, video card, card for wireless router, etc. I don't have a wireless router now, but I would like to get started.

Please give me what I need, also can I use something like this to see on my TV?

Thanks
    Silverado

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    First things first, what is your budget, what are your intended uses for the computer, do you want an off the shelf system or are you comfortable building this yourself? 12Gb ram will only be addressed if you plan on using a 64 bit OS.

3. silverado4

How do I get 64 bit OS, isn't that with Windows 7? Isn't that faster?
    What will 32 bit OS get me as far as memory access?

I'd like to spend about $2000 - $2500 for the unit. I don't know if I
    can get into one for that price with an I7 processor, I'm sure that
    processor runs about $700 or so.

I helped build my current PC, mostly I watched. I don't know if I could
    build one myself. I did however correct an error from the person who
    built it. He put the "fan" connection on the wrong connector, I just happened
    to examine the computer .

Can I use my external Free Agent Drives "320 gig each", or is that
    long gone because of Windows 7, or 64 bit.

It will be mostly used as internet, office suite, misc software programs.
    No gaming, I'm not into that. I would like the OS Windows 7 professional
    I have XP Professional now. I don't think I can at the price I want to pay.
    I could probably go a little more the $2500, but I'm retired, and I have to
    watch the money very closely. I also haven't passed the on to my wife
    yet, that will be the next step before I buy a computer. I just want to get
    all the information first. You know what I mean?
    Thanks

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    In the case where you are not going to be gaming you do not need Win 7 Pro 64 bit. ANd you certainly won't need 12Gb Ram. A 32 bit OS ill only address 4Gb ram, but you will only see approx 3.25 GB usable. You can use your externals the same a before. I would recommend that you could get an off the shelf system for much less than $2000. You couul also build a great system for much less than $2000.

Win 7 Pro is a good choice.

here is a dell you could look at http://www.dell.com/us/p/studio-xps-8100/pd?oc=dxdona1&model_id=studio-xps-8100

5. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Your requirements for a computer are certainly not demanding.

If you went with an AMD Phenom-II processor, you would get a lot more bang for the buck and would save a lot of bucks. The Intel i7 series is definitely higher performance, but for your stated uses you'd never notice the difference.

You could build quite a nice system for half the $2500 you mentioned as a budget, or you can buy many systems that will meet your needs either using Intel chips or AMD chips for less than that.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I personally would opt for an AMD Based system as well. The savings could be put to better use elsewhere.

7. silverado4

You have given me good information, I would like to build my own,
    but by the time I put in a good graphics card, say with 500 or 1 gig of memory,
    plus all the other hardware, I would come up to about the same as getting a
    new one, at least that was my experience with building my old one, I mean
    watching someone else build it. I want to go wireless also, but don't know what
    I need for that either. I need a wireless router, and want to work from across the
    house to my TV, then print to my printer. Don't know which router is the best
    for distance, also what do I need on my computer to talk to the router. What's the
    difference with a regular wireless router, and a "dual" wireless router, don't know if
    I said that right.
    It's all confusing, but I'll get it slowly but surely, I hope.
    Thanks again
    Silverado

8. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

You can often save money building your own, but not always. It just depends on how you go about it. For myself, I don't build machines to save money; I build machines to get what I want.

The biggest advantages to building your own is that you get to pick every component and can therefore optimize based upon your particular requirements, you wind up with a platform that generally will be expandable and upgradeable into the future, and you get an OS that isn't packed full of shovelware.

The downsides of building your own is that you have to make it work; there's no returning it to the store if it doesn't boot, and if it DOESN'T boot, it is up to you to figure out why in order to replace the proper defective component.

For wireless, you need a wireless network adapter for the computer and a wireless router. I personally wouldn't use wireless for a desktop computer unless the design of the building made it impossible to pull ethernet cable; ethernet is faster, more secure, and more reliable.

I don't know what you mean by a dual wireless router.

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A $2500 computer running an Intel Core i7 processor with 12GB of RAM for e-mail, web-surfing, and "misc software" is like buying a Porsche to drive a mile to the grocery store once a week. Serious, serous overkill.

Have you considered a laptop in the $600-$1000 range?

11. silverado4

Thanks for all the information, I now use the ethernet hook up. I to am worried about
    someone tapping into my computer. My daughter found out the other day, that her
    neighbor could get to her computer from her house next door. My daughter was
    furious when she found out. I think it was innocent, but still.

Yes, sorry, "dual band router", was correct. Shows you how much I know about
    wireless routers.

Side note: Are all of you getting the "Chrome" advertisement popping up when
    you try to use this site? It pops up every time I change screens, or try
    to sign on, it's aggrevating.
    Thanks for all your advise.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice