1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New computers have the same XP key

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sync, Apr 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sync

sync Thread Starter

We just bought some new computers which have XP Pro (downgraded from Vista Business). The first two I've looked at have the same XP key. That doesn't seem right. Is there any way a vendor can sell computers with the same product key?

2. Koot

Koot

Sounds like you have multiple computers at an organization using Microsoft's Volume Licensing, which use the same product key.

3. sync

sync Thread Starter

I have purchased Microsoft software that came with volume licensing keys. This is the first time I've seen computers come with an OS installed with the same keys. The computers have Vista key tags with different keys.

I don't know how keys are obtained with an XP downgrade. I guess I'll find out if it is ok when I activate them.

4. sync

sync Thread Starter

Is there a way to tell whether a computer has an OEM or a VLK version of XP?

5. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Right click My Computer>properties - should tell you.

6. sync

sync Thread Starter

It says 'Registered to: xxxx-OEM-xxxx'. Does that tell me the key is not VLK?

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That is OEM (obviously) and COULD be VLK as well
    If it is a VLK it won't need activating.
    Did you get a set of ULAs with keys on them? Or stickers on the machines?? You should have !!!

8. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Yes, that is the typical LARGE OEM type of key.

9. sync

sync Thread Starter

I have stickers but they are for Vista. We got an XP downgrade but no XP sticker.

10. DaveBurnett

I think (but await confirmation) that you need to get ULAs for the XPs from the supplier rather rapidly.

11. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

On several HP/Compaq laptops I recently had in to down(up)grade from W7 to XP, the CD was shipped with the machine and can therefore be taken as legitimate. No sticker was provided but activation was automatic on first Net connection. If the OP isn't seeing any Activation Wizard or suggestion of a time limited system, there won't be any problems. Going from Vista to XP is most definitely an upgrade, imho. :D

12. sync

sync Thread Starter

I discovered that the computers have an OEM SLP license. I think that means the downgrade is done by HP and not the vendor.

The disks I got are interesting. There is a restore disk which must be used first. The disk says it requires a Vista or XP OS disk. There are disks for Vista Business SP1, XP Pro SP2 and XP Pro SP2. But there is no XP Pro key anywhere. The OS disks say they must be used with the restore disk. I tried one of the OS disks and all the options that do anything were grayed out.

With an SLP license, data in the BIOS together with a a digitally signed certificate, is used to validate the product key. Perhaps the restore disk automatically takes care of the key.

On one of the computers I restored an Acronis image from another computer. Then I changed the key back to the key that came with the computer. This computer will not pass activation. That is probably because the digitally signed certificate is missing.

13. DaveBurnett

SLP means it is tied into the BIOS of that machine. All the MS genuine advantage and licensing stuff is bypassed.

14. sync

sync Thread Starter

There are Windows files that must match the BIOS. If they don't match (they won't if you restore an image from a different manufacturer) then you get an activation message and you won't pass activation and you can't use Windows.

I found how how to get the files. After I copied them to the computer everything was fine.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice