1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Computger-need security advice

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by buf, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

Got a new computer; running Win98. WAS going to download and install ALL the MS Windows Updates but then I vaguely recall that there were one or two(more??)updates that some users wished that they had not installed. Am I correct--and if so--what were those updates? Any one know? Windows Update is just one of the many installations that I need to run because I like to protect my PC as best I can. As always, TIA.

2. imweasel

imweasel

For win98se, just get yourself a good av, trojan scanner and firewall.

I would only dl any ie patches.

I don't really update my os at all.

Of course, all of the above imho.

####edit####

Forgot to add - get a good spyware program as well.

3. $teve

$teve

4. bobince

bobince

Have to disagree with weasel. If you use Win98SE without patching Internet Explorer and the JVM, you are vulnerable to every homepage-hijacker, dialler-installer and spyware-vendor site out there. A firewall will not help you. An AV tool will not help you.

If you must use an unpatched 98SE, hide it behind a firewall and do NOT under any circustances use Internet Explorer or Outlook Express.

--
    Andrew Clover
    mailto:[email protected]
    http://www.doxdesk.com/

5. RandyG

RandyG

uhhmm bobince, it looks to me like weasel said to only download updates to IE, which would also cover OE.

You maybe misread him and seem to actually agree with what he said.;)

Personally, I do all critical and pick and choose recommended.

I do not use OE, so don't bother to upgrade it.

6. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thanks for your inputs. It was WMP7(or 7.1 maybe) that I was reminded of and so I just accepted the version 6.4 and am happy with it. Don't get that "recorded message" with 6.4 either.
    My very first installation of my software was Nortons Internet Security2002 which includes AV and their firewall; very good apps. in my eyes. Updated the virus definitions, ran a full scan and all of that is up to date. Trouble free and keeps me safe, I think and hope. The spyware apps. are next to install.
    All Windows Updates are now installed. My thanks again.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113819

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice