1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New CPU Fan, MB not recognizing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Iratusa, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Iratusa

Iratusa Thread Starter

Hello all.
    I think this goes in this forum if not I apologize. So my cpu fan died and I replaced it. My MB is not recognizing that I made this change. I have to spam F2 to boot from windows otherwise my computer shuts down as it still thinks my fan is dead. Yes the fan is installed properly and does work)

I have gone into BIOS and saved changes and while I can restart without an issue, when I power down completely and start back up.. I get the CPU has failed message .

I really need to reinstall my OS( win 7) as its been a year since last install. I am afraid to do so as I won't have a windows option in boot manager if I am reinstalling yes?

I hope I am making sense as to what my issue is)

my comp is a HPE-210y

Thank you for your time and I appreciate any help I will receive.

Ira

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you buy an identical HP fan? If not you likely have too. Some systems like this expect the fan to spin at very precious speeds and if the replacement fan spins too slow or fast the system may not think it's working properly.

Why do need to reinstall Windows? Although to reinstall Windows you can use the built-in HP Recovery, see here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01867418

3. Iratusa

Iratusa Thread Starter

Thank you for your response! No I didnt get the fan from HP, went down to Frys( CA) and found one for my MB.

As far as reinstalling, I do it once a year as maintenance. I play quite a few games and download stuffs). Right now having a slew of errors.

But back to my original question trying to convince my MB that I do indeed have a working fan..I suppose I can call HP and see if they will help or guide me to their specific fan

Thanks again!

4. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Andrew
    If I may say so...sometimes buying those OEM parts from HP/Dell they charge a lot. If you go to amazon.com or ebay.com and see if you can find one that MATCHES your part number on your old fan. It will most likely be a lot cheaper.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1117882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice