1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New CPU = Lag ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by buck123, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buck123

buck123 Thread Starter

Hey, i installed new cpu to my pc and it is lagging weirdly. I upgraded from Pentium 4 to E7200 @ 2.5ghz, and weird thing is ingames i am lagging. It looks as if i got ping issues as im moving back and forth a lot but quicker and not as bad. Also im just running firefox and my cpu load is 50-60% and temperature is 50C which isnt high i think, i checked for viruses etc and didnt get anything. I figured it could be some volate issues cause atm im only feeding it 0.83v, for memory its 1.8v and the FSB runs on 1.2v. Im running windows XP SP3 and my motherboard is EVGA nForce 680i sli which is supposed to run it. Any suggestions guys ? Thanks !

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Can you post more info regarding your graphics card and the games you play?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually that temp is high for almost no load, that CPU should be in the 40's or below with normal cooling. And if its that high under idle then it will be higher under load as when gaming.

When you replaced the CPU did you use a new heatsink or re-use the old one? If you re-used the old one you have to clean off all the thermal paste and apply a new thin layer. And you also need to check how the heatsink is mounted, its sometimes hard to lock in the legs and if its not mounted 100$ correctly your temps will be much higher.

As to the low CPU voltage, if the CPU is throttling back then that could be why its so low. By default it should be 1.25 volts. Or maybe you are looking at another voltage or the utility you are using reporting the correct readings.

Another thing to check is the BIOS version. Since this is a fairly new CPU you likely need to update the BIOS to correctly support it if you haven't done so already. I think this is the BIOS for your board: http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/default.asp?switch=2 You only need the latest P33 BIOS to get all previous updates.

4. buck123

buck123 Thread Starter

I got newest p33 bios installed. I used new one that came with cpu, the legs were confusing to get on as only the first leg clicked when i pushed it in and the rest just went in. Im using nvidia monitor thing. I play team fortress 2 and im using geforce 8600 gt 256mb video card. Should i try and increase voltage and see how it does ?? also i noticed something very weird, sometimes it lags and sometimes not and i found that it only lags if game launched up quickly, today i launched up a game and it took about 2-3 minutes to get to menu and about 2 minutes to connect to server but then i had no lag at all, and when it launches quickly in less than 30 seconds it lags :| by the way it always launched quick on p4 :|

5. buck123

buck123 Thread Starter

By the way, i wiped off the thermal paste that was on the heatsink and used arctic silver 5 instead, although i just applied rice sized blob in middle and let the pressure spread it out so im not sure if i did it right :|

6. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Triple6 I don't know that much about the 7x00 C2Ds but I think that 50C is not that far from normal even with an idle CPU. And throttling begins at 72C or 74C on this line of C2Ds according to this guide:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/221745-11-core-quad-temperature-guide

Also Buck stated that 50C is under load (50-60%). Could the sensors be inaccurate?

Buck does this happen in every game? You only speak of a certain game which is online, in this case those slowdowns could be actual lag! Meaning that nothing is wrong with your machine. For example I play Warhammer Online. Sometimes the menu loads quite slowly because the game is trying to connect to the server. Sometimes everything is normal due to lower server traffic. Please post more info on your game/games! :)

EDIT: Sorry, just saw that you play TF2...Anyway try another game and see if the performance is similar.

7. buck123

buck123 Thread Starter

i tried css and still the same :|

8. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hmmmm...

Try a game that's not online. Maybe the problem has to do with your connection and/or router/ethernet adapter settings. New motherboard = new ethernet adapter. ;)

9. buck123

buck123 Thread Starter

Point is it happens when i play with bots too, and i didnt get new motherboard or anything :|

10. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

I'm confused...

Did you check your BIOS for any settings except the voltage that may alter performance?

I would try reinstalling the heatsink once more just to make sure it is correctly placed. Do you experience bad performance on other stuff too? Like choppiness when listening to mp3s, watching videos etc?

11. buck123

buck123 Thread Starter

I will do some more tests tommorow but so far when listening to music and watching videos it ran smooth.

12. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Just to be sure get in device manager and check your primary IDE controllers. Is any of them stating that it's working in PIO mode?

The next step would be to run a benchmarking program like Everest or Sandra. The program will stress your machine and will display info about temperature and if throttling was applied. Try Everest Ultimate Trial, you can get it at www.download.com.

13. buck123

buck123 Thread Starter

I went to bios and it said voltage for cpu was 1.12v so i pumped it up to 1.25 and its running flawlessly !

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob

Actually he said running Firefox was producing a load of 50 to 60% and the temp was 50 degrees, running Firefox should not be yielding a load of 50-60% unless something is already terribly wrong.

But in any case, if correcting the CPU voltage did the trick then thats good.

What are the temps and CPU utilization now, Buck?

15. buck123

buck123 Thread Starter

At the minute its idling on 45c and has load from 0-15% depending on what im doing. and in game its running about 60-80% and 56c hot, although i still did experience some choppyness in games, not as suvere as before (might be internet lag but it is very small just like weapon animations not running smooth when shooting/reloading etc. I ran that everest benchmark for 2 hours and throttling stayed on 0% all the times and load was 100% before the voltage change.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758483

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice