1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New CPU/Mobo - Stuttering on Highend Games

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by liftedgetsit, Jun 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. liftedgetsit

liftedgetsit Thread Starter

I just got a AMD Phenom II x6 1090T and Im now stuttering in games with highend graphics were as with my AMD Phenom II x4 925 I did not. My temps seems excellent, even better than with my 925, my 925 idled @ high 40's/low 50s, my 1090 idles @ high 20's/low 30's. Do I need a new PSU, current have a 650w, i think it is the psu for some reason but I hope theres something else cheaper.

My Specs:
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H
    HEC x-power pro 650w
    2GB DDR2
    750gb Seagate barracuda hd
    Sapphire HD 5770
    Basic Disk Drive

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just a few thoughts;
    1 Did you clear cmos when you installed the new cpu?

2 What bios are your running on that board? It needs the very latest beta bios to support that cpu.

3 I checked the specs on your pw supply. This is what I refer to as a "junk" unit. Here is why. It claims to have various amp ratings on the different rails however IF you do the math and add up each rail, it comes to 778W so it cannot really supply all of the different rails at what it claims to do.

The first thing I would do would be to install either hwmonitor or since this is a gigabyte board, easytune. With either of those apps open, run something like prime95 to load the system @100% See if your 12V starts dropping. Let it run for a while and post the results.

In any case, I would look into getting a corsair or seasonic pw supply.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I have that same mb running my home theater system. It works great with an amd 940 and 4gig of ram.

5. liftedgetsit

Thanks for your responses! All my stuff is up to date driver wise. I think I mildly fixed it cause I was at Version F9B(Doesn't support 6core) for bios and flashed it to Version F9D(Supports 6core). Soo far my games dont seem to be stuttering but I havent played anything too demanding because I had to format again to change back to AHCI for my hard drive. Could having an unsupported mobo version cause lagg/stuttering on a level that my game was completely freezing in games like APB reloaded/Bad Company 2? I was looking into a the Corsair gaming edition 700w psu, think that will be strong enough for my current setup plus a 6870? Also, if my current one has no problems, will it be good enough for the 6870? (upgrading to that card in a week or less)

Corsair 700w link
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139024&Tpk=Corsair 700w

6. liftedgetsit

Here are my results from HWmonitor running prime95 @ 100% load for roughtly 15min. Only thing I noticed is after about 3-4 min my +12v droped from 12.10v to 12.03v off on and, more frequently the longer it ran. It got to were it was 12.03v longer than 12.10v. But I dont understand this too much so IDK what it means. lol

CPU Temps -Stock heatsink/Fan-
    Highest: 67C
    Lowest: 30C

+12v Voltages
    Highest: 12.16v
    Lowest: 12.03v
    Would jump from 12.10v to 12.03v constantly underload, never was 12.16v under load.

Not sure if this is even useful info but there it is. lol

Attached Files:

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

A corsair 700W pw supply is fine for just about any single video card.

If you are running win7, you did not have to format to change to ahci mode.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That is not much of a drop so I doubt it is causing any problem.

9. liftedgetsit

I had too for some reason, my PC would not start nor boot from CD in AHCI, would just restart, had to delete drive, change to AHCI to boot from CD. Also, from above I asked, can a unsupported mobo version cause that lag?
    Not sure why but I feel I have to add that I have 4gb of RAM, dont know why I said 2gb.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I do not know what you mean "unsupported mb" your board supports your cpu as long as you have the latest beta bios.

Do remember beta is just that; beta. It is not a release bios and may or may not have all of the features you need for that cpu.

FWIW I doubt gigabyte will ever post a release bios that supports that cpu. That is an AM2, AM2+ board that also supports AM3 cpus. I do not think gigabyte is going to put any effort into that old of a board. I could be wrong however one gigabyte AM2+/AM3 board I have here has had a beta bios for about 1yr with no release bios.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You need to edit the registry to enable ahci. Once you do that, then you need to restart and enter the bios. Select ahci; save settings and restart. It will then work. On some boards you also need to manually copy the driver files however with yours you do not. In fact with my home theater, I did just that including a mb swap without a reinstall.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1001970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice