1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New cpu, now computer won’t turn on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Izzylol777, Oct 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Izzylol777

Izzylol777 Thread Starter

so I upgraded from a i3 2120 to a 17 3770 and when I put the i7 in, the computer turns on for 2 seconds then shuts back off. Just the fans. When I put the old cpu in, it worked like before, worked fine. But I’m thinking maybe it’s my bios or something but I updated my bios.

2. tecknurd

tecknurd

After you mount the i7-3770, reset the BIOS and try power it up. If it doesn't, verify if the processor is compatible with your motherboard by checking the compatibility at motherboard manufacturer. Not all motherboards for Intel processors can handle high power processors such as the i7-3770, so checking the compatibility list should be the first thing to check before buying the processor.

To reset the BIOS, all you need to do is find the jumper for BIOS or CMOS reset and move it to the other pins for a second and then move it back. Do this when the power is off and the AC is disconnected.

3. Izzylol777

I checked that the cpu is compatible and it is. I tried resetting the bios and now it’s powering up but I don’t get any signal on the display

4. Izzylol777

NEvermind restarted it and now it Went back to the same thing

5. tecknurd

tecknurd

Does the serial number of the processor match the serial number on the CPU box. Also is there a hologram sticker on the box. Did you handle the processor by the edges. If not, carefully clean the bottom of the processor with isopropyl alcohol and try again. After reseting the BIOS, the motherboard may do multiple power cycles. If it doesn't work, contact the store to get a replacement. If you can't get a replacement, then you can try contact Intel to get a replacement. If you can't, try to get a refund and buy pre-built computer using an i7-3770.

Where did you bought your i7 processor?

List the brand and model of the components of your computer.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice