1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new cpu on motherboard, won't boot!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kaddy69, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kaddy69

kaddy69 Thread Starter

I just made a cpu upgrade to my Asus A7N8X motherboard. I used to have a Barton 2500+ cpu and I upgraded to a a Barton Mobile 2500+.

I can't seem to boot in to windows. The machine boots. I get the windows did not load successfully screen and it asks me if I want to boot safe mode, ..., ..., last good configuration, or start windows normally. What ever one I select, it just reboots itself.

I have tried reseting the cmos, but that didn't work.

It sees the cpu on posting as a Mobile AMD athlon.

After I reset the CMOS it had the CPU recognized as a 600mhz.

Any ideas how I can get this to work??

kaddy69

2. norton850

norton850

Why the 2500+ Mobile? Overclocking Plans?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

It may be that your BIOS or mainboard don't support that CPU. Or, you may have the wrong CPU driver installed. Try a repair installation so your hardware will be redetected if you are sure the system supports the mobile.

Or, disable the CPU driver in the Recovery Console and try rebooting without one.

4. kaddy69

kaddy69 Thread Starter

well I picked up a mobile 2500+ that I was going to use for a laptop, but didn't end up needing it. I figured it would make a great overclocker.

For some strange reason I can't get the CPU to boot from the CD Rom with this processor installed. It's set up in the Bios, but it won't work. It works fine booting from the floopy?

I have the multiplier on the CPU set to the default 14 x 133 bus. If I set it any different it won't recognize the cpu.

When I boot up it says amd Athlon Mobile 600mhz????

I can't do a repair installation, because I can't boot from CD, only floppy????

It works fine as soon as I put my barton 2500 XP Desktop processor in.

What should I try to do?

kaddy69

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you want to try a repair, you can start it from these floppies:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310994&Product=winxp

Or this single floppy:
    www.madboot.com

You might check the mainboard manufacturer's site to see if there is a BIOS update that supports more CPU's.

If you can get it to boot, it makes less difference how the CPU is identified by BIOS or Windows than what the actual running speed is and whether it's true architecture is in use.

You could try some different clock speeds, too, just for the installation, but it would be better, of course, if you were sure that the CPU was supported and update the BIOS if it is supported in a later release.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327977

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice