1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new cpu running slow

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by qcity, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. qcity

qcity Thread Starter

I just installed a new amd 1.4 gig 200 mhz cpu in a home built k7vat motherboard with via kt-133 chipset.
    The problem is the pc recognises it as a 1.05 processer .there is a jumper on the mb to overclock but I left it so it runs at actual processer speed.
    I thought maybe my pc didn't recognise chip so I ran pcpitstop & it says I have a 1.05 processer also.
    Any help appreciated.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Your multiplier is set wrong. Look at the manual for the jumper or dip switch settings

3. brianF

brianF

You sure you have the 200 version, apparently it's running 10.5 x 100 for 1.05gig. If it's wants the 10.5 multiplier and it's not unlocked it's looking for a 133 front side bus speed to acheive the desired 1.4gig 10.5 x 133 = 1400, or in other words the 266 mhz mode.

If the last letter of the id number is a B it is 100 mhz front side bus, if it's a C it's a 133 mhz front side bus

4. qcity

qcity Thread Starter

I set dip switch to 133mhz & it wouldn't boot so I assume it's 200.
    The highest multiplier I have is 12.5 so would 1.25 be my limit ?.I have to get a jumper to use this because it is supposed to run actual processer speed with out jumper.

5. brianF

brianF

apparently your motherboard only supports processors up to 1.2gig. Didn't see a bios flash for it. It is a 200 mhz motherboard

6. Rockn

Rockn

The manuals I have looked at state that the processor clock runs at 100/133MHz

7. qcity

qcity Thread Starter

I overclocked it to the multiplier of 12.5 & am now running 1.3 gig on a board that's rated 1.2 so next time I'll read the manual before I but..act in haste repent at leisure.Thanks people:)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice