1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New CPU was a pain now Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LightningSeed, Mar 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LightningSeed

LightningSeed Thread Starter

I have posted on another forum but have yet to fix the problem. Links here:
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic101535.html
    http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic102113.html

Brief: ive recently changed my cpu, old one worked fine with the then current sticks. Had problems getting it to work properly (was getting BSOD) so updated bios and inf files for chipset which seemed to make it run fine. Then started getting BSOD with the codes in the other forum. Have run memtest with old ram and came back fine. Computer freezes when on myspace, youtube etc, websites that load alot.

I just cant seem to find why i am have BSOD problems as i now have brand new RAM

Could the processor be fault ? Not handling things it should be able to ?

I have attached afew of the BSOD files once gone through WinDBG and analysised.

Hope someone can help, please

Attached Files:

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

You need to check your temps on the system...Jazz

3. LightningSeed

The processor can run up to 50C could this be causing the problems ? Although it ususally runs at about 40-46ish depending on what im doing. I have also added some of the latest minidump files to the other forums

4. jazz3000

jazz3000

5. LightningSeed

My motherboard is: http://www.giga-byte.co.uk/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2257 bios is updated to F3 as on F1 i had problems getting it to work as everytime windows loaded it blue screened
    Which supports the processor Intel Pentium D 950 SL9K8. I am currently using 2 samsung 1gb sticks, model number is on the list of compatable RAM on my motherboard website. I dont overclock.

Also ive noticed that fssm32.exe is using 180,000k mem usage on the Task Manager atm, this is part of my internet security and im not even running a virus scan neither is it schedualed to. Could this be a reason for my system to be running slower?

6. jazz3000

jazz3000

If your running an app called F-Secure for virus protection the fssm32.exe would be a norm. If not it would be considered a virus.
    If your not running any virus applications have you shifted your thought process to include possible trojan or virus issues?
    Can you be more specific in regards to, "Then started getting BSOD with the codes in the other forum".
    The system was running okay after you updated your Bios? You were in another forum and what codes were you dealing with specifically? Jazz

7. LightningSeed

I have the dump files and bsod codes that come up on the bsod in the other forum post i have a link to in here

I cannot attach dump files here for some reason so if you are wishing to access them you may have to get them of the other website. Hope they help

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic102113.html

8. jazz3000

jazz3000

What number do you have on the gigabyte board. Gigabyte is the name of a number of boards. Be specific about the motherboard numbers - cpu - and memory. More than likely it is a hardware problem. Your descriptions are too general to determine too much. Jazz
    Your gigabyte site wasn't online when I went to check. Do you have the manual that came with the motherboard where you can specify the details?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The above is correct. Post your exact system spec; ie board,brand and speed of memory, brand and wattage of power supply, etc.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One thing I have seen a number of times. With some boards that claim to support the Pentium Ds, they really do not have strong enough VRs [voltage regulators] on the board. The cpu you installed is one of the most power hungry ones made. If your pw supply OR your board is not up to supplying enough power, it will cause problems.

If you have it running approx 45C, I would think you have the hsf installed correctly.

11. LightningSeed

Hey guys yeh the uk version of the site doesnt seem to be working atm but the us version is:
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2257
    Incase that doesnt work its:
    GA-8I865G775-G
    LGA 775 for Intel® Pentium® 4/Pentium® D processor

Chipset North Bridge : Intel® 865G
    South Bridge : Intel® ICH5
    Realtek ALC653
    Marvell 8001 chip (10/100/1000Mbit)

Front Side Bus 800 / 533 MHz FSB

Memory Type: Dual Channel DDR 400 / 333 / 266 support
    Max capacity: 4 GB
    DIMM slots: 4
    * Due to standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount.
    Internal I/O Connectors 1 20-pin ATX power connector
    1 4-pin ATX 12V power connector
    1 floppy connector
    2 IDE connectors
    2 SATA connectors
    1 CPU fan connector
    1 system fan connector
    1 front panel connector
    1 front audio connector
    1 COMB connector
    1 CD In connector
    1 AUX In connector
    1 Surround Center connector
    1 SPDIF Out connector
    1 power LED connector
    2 USB 2.0/1.1 connectors for additional 4 ports by cables

Expansion Slots 1 AGP slot 4X/8X (1.5V)
    5 PCI slots

Back Panel Connectors 1 PS/2 keyboard port
    1 PS/2 mouse port
    1 parallel port
    1 serial port (COMA)
    1 VGA port
    4 USB 2.0/1.1 ports
    1 RJ-45 port
    3 audio jacks (Line In / Line Out / MIC In)

Form Factor ATX
    30.5cm x 21cm

H/W Monitoring System voltage detection
    CPU temperature detection
    CPU / System fan speed detection
    CPU warning temperature
    CPU System fan failure warning
    CPU smart fan control

BIOS 1 4Mbit flash ROM
    Use of licensed AWARD BIOS

Other Features Supports @BIOS
    Supports Download Center
    Supports Q-Flash
    Supports EasyTune 5
    Supports Xpress Install
    Supports Xpress Recovery2
    Supports Xpress BIOS Rescue

I uninstalled my security centre as some of the bsod dump files linked to the security driver, things seem to be running better with a different security installed, also cpu temp is running at no more than 40C atm. Could my internet security of been using alot of system resources and causing it to crash?

Hopefully it will now be fine, although when installing Nod32 it said that it detected F-Secure software even though i uninstalled it? Ive deleted all the files i could fine and know of that link to it.

Also do you think i should return the processor and go back to the Pentium 4 i had in before if this one is so power hungry etc ?

12. jazz3000

jazz3000

http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2257 Which one of these processors the name and number are you running? F-Secure would have an uninstall for it's application? Did you remove or uninstall on their program?
    Yes security - more especially - if you fail to set it up correctly can cause many issues. Firewalls the same thing if you haven't cleared your choices through the exceptions.
    Let us know...Jazz
    ps: I should also ask you the exact name of your memory. not just the numbers but who makes it.
    Is this your motherboard: http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=2257

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have not posted the brand and wattage of your power supply.

14. LightningSeed

Well before i installed this processor i had the exact internet security on and it ran fine, never ever blue screened, yes thats my motherboard and the processor is Pentium D 950(3.4GHz,4MB). My ram is the Samsung 1gb K4H510838C-UCCC. My power supply is Q-tec 350watt. I uninstalled F-secure and also used an uninstaller program they have to totally remove everything. Just had a BSOD last night and the WinDBG came back saying its now the new internet security driver that is a problem. Could this all point to the processor having a problem as this all started when i replaced my old with with the Intel D 950

15. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

From your post, I would really look into getting a quality pw supply. Q-tec is junk. Just think about it; you installed a cpu that is just about the most power hungry one made. The pw supply may or may not be causing your problem however it needs to be replaced with a quality unit ie antec, FSP, seasonic, etc.

As a test, I would install speedfan to monitor your voltages. Do something that will stress the system and see if any of the voltages are changing ie going from 12.1 to 11.5, etc.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698751

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice