1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mike Rogers, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers Thread Starter

Hello everyone !

I bought a new Celeron CPU, 566Mhz, 66FSB, 1.7 Vcore, for my computer and it wont work when I install it, my monitor wont show anything (no signal) but I see the HD flash on/off and CD drive flash once but no monitor screen (splash screen), well this is no good, how do I get to CMOS to configure my new CPU? also my motherboard has both a Slot 1 and Socket 370 ..370 for Celerons.

Things I have done:
    Flashed my BIOS with the right* one (updated)
    Cleared CMOS jumpers on every try ...
    Gone nuts and almost threw my comp out the window ... ;)

Now another thing I don't understand is why I cant play with my voltage on my motherboard or in CMOS ..it don't have selectable options to choose from ...another roadblock, when I flashed my BIOS it gave me more x7.5 etc. .. multipliers to choose from and that's one thing I needed because it would only go as far as 6x and it didn't show an option for 566Mhz for my new CPU, but now it does and its updated to support new Celerons and P3's

Right now im still using my old CPU the Celeron 400Mhz 66FSB one, I put it back in ...still works, I just cant use my new one, when its suppose to work...

My comp specs are:
    400Mhz Celeron
    256MB of SDRAM PC133 @ 8 ns (yes it works with a 66FSB) no problems, maybe the new CPU don't like this?
    32mb TnT2 M64 nVida card (was useing it while installing the new CPU ...possible problem?)

And finnaly some links to this mess, here is my motherboard site as well as BIOS flash site, just incase you might need to know.

Also my motherboard model is "M748LMRT" and my BIOS version is AMI.

http://www.pcchips.com/index2.html
    http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.html#M748LMRT
    http://www.amptron.com/html/lbca.m748lmrt.html

Any peeps have an idea as to what Im doing wrong or what I should try ?

Thanks

Mike

I had to add this in ..........DONT BUY PC-CHIP BOARDS ..they suck

2. brianF

brianF

I don't see anywhere it states the bios makes the board coppermine ready. Being your new chip is coppermine and they didn't work with older socket 370 boards it would make me wonder.
    The coppermine chips had more differences than just eh multiplier and voltage, some of the pinouts where different and they won't work with older 370 motherboards

3. Mike Rogers

Mike Rogers Thread Starter

LoL I found out why it don't work now on my board. After doing some major reading on websites and some 101 CPU history, I found out that my new Celeron is a new breed of Intels and it wont work on my board because they are the new FC-PGA Celerons, my motherboard only supports the ol' PPGA Celerons on the socket 370 ....so now I have to buy a SlotKey/Slotket adapter to use the new FC-PGA type.

Thank god I have a slot 1 on my motherboard, The only thing that worries me now is ..did I screw up my new CPU by taking it out and putting it back in 3-4 times?

4. brianF

brianF

It's possible, you cranked it up with 2.0volts vcore rather than 1.7.
    It just may have blown it, hard to tell until you get the slotkey and try it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63971

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice