1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new custom built comp wont start up properly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mahon, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mahon

Mahon Thread Starter

Okay so i bought a computer from ibuypower and i just got it. I decided to make sure it worked by just plugging in the power and starting it up. The lights turned on, fans started churning and it looked fine so i turned it off by pressing the power button again. I then plugged it into my moniter and started it up again. This time it did the same thing as it did wihtout the moniter but nothing showed up on the screen, I waited about a minute and still nothing happened. I tried again and same thing. So i tried it with my new moniter and same thing so i know it is not the moniter. I then decided to take a look inside the cmomputer. So i took off the side pannel and looked inside (dont worry i didnt touch the mobo or anything) and i notied there were a few cables that were not plugged in nbut i did not see any obvious locations to plug them into. One of them was coming from the graphics card and another one had "SATA: written on it. Could someone please help me? I have pictures if you want them, just email me at
    Thanks

2. Mahon

Mahon Thread Starter

Anyone? Btw, i should probably add that I am using an HDMI connector

3. vietguy357

vietguy357

Did it come with an OS installed?
    Also the problem with some ibuypower products is that the wires inside the case are either not plugged in or not pushed in all the way.
    I would make sure all the wires are connected properly and then figure out what wire go where. You might be able to find a manual online for your computer.
    If none that works then call ibuypower customer service. I'm sure they'll be able to help you or offer to send the system back and have it repaired.

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Do you think you could upload the photos as attachments on this site?

Jack-O-Bytes

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I removed your email address. That is an invitation to be spammed.

Next have you read and followed the guide for problem builds at the top of the hardware forum?

You also need to post your exact system specs; ie make and model of mb, brand and wattage of pw supply, brand and speed of ram, etc, etc, etc. It is difficult at best to help you if we do not know what we are working on.

6. bigbear

bigbear

Can you post the specs?
    Sometimes they come as "barebones" which means just the bare essentials no hard drive, OS or graphics card it depends on how you configured the purchase.

7. Mahon

Mahon Thread Starter

OK here are the specs.

Antec Nine Hundred Two Gaming Case-Black
    Processor1 x [= Six Core =] AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Six-Core
    Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD]
    8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1333 Memory Module
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 - 1GB
    Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 -- AMD 870 w/ 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16-
    1000 Watt -- Extreme Gaming Series-
    30 GB Kingston SSDNow V Series MLC SSD
    1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s
    [10X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo
    Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio-
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010

Monitor
    24" LED 1920x1080 -- MAG GML2427 (23.6" Viewable)-

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You have not answered if you have read and followed the guide.

Next are you getting any post display ie post data; cpu ID, memory count, etc?

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW there are three different versions of that mb. Since the earliest one supports the cpu you have installed [with release bios] It should not matter which ver# you have.

10. Mahon

Mahon Thread Starter

if you meant "Troubleshooting Guide for "Problem Builds"" then yes. But I am not getting anything showing up on the monitor and i did not build the system myself so i dont want to take the whole thing apart.
    I WAS using a HDMI cable instead of DVI or VGA though, so someone thought that was the problem. My monitor only accepts HDMI and VGA, my comp only accepts HDMI and DVI. So i went and bought a DVI-VGA adapter and hooked it up. It worked, and i got it started up, i got to the part where it asks me for my Windows 7 install key. My comp then froze, and i waited about 5 mins. It was still frozen so i turned it off by pressing the button on the comp.I then restarted and it didnt work. I redid all it said to do on how to install the monitor... still didnt work. did it again and left it on for about 10 mins. And still doesnt work. help please.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Have you contacted the place that built it or where you bought it?

I would tend to think you have one or more defective parts since it should display post data using hdmi [at least the systems I have built using gigabyte boards had no problem displaying post data using hdmi]

12. Mahon

Mahon Thread Starter

ok well yeah, im gonna contact the place, but their technical support phone numbers are not available on weekends :mad:

EDIT: Ok it just did it again, the screen came on sayin that it had a boot failure because of overclocking. It said to press "Delete" to go to BIOS settings or press any other key to continue. So i press spacebar. It continued and asked if i wanted to start normally or in safe mode. I chose normal and it went to the thing that says "Starting Windows..." then crashed and now it wont do it again (show up on my monitor)

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Either you have to troubleshoot by following the guide OR you return the system. There really are no other choices. In order to find the cause, you will need to test in a systematic manner; ie out of case build, swap parts with known good units, etc.

14. Mahon

Mahon Thread Starter

Ok, I think I will just call technical support tomorrow, and if they cant help im just gonna send it back. Thanks for your help though.

15. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would send it back, this is a new pc and if it doesn't work right out of the box, you will have trouble with it for however long you have it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970628

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice