1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New custom computer turns off immediately

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Unopis, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Unopis

Unopis Thread Starter

I just made a custom computer by ordering all the parts off of Newegg, and as soon as I turn it on, a light left from the power button flashes green, and another light right of the power button flashes orange, and then it just turns off completely. This is my first time ever building a computer, so I have no idea what's wrong here.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, you need to list the exact specs; ie make and model of mb, brand and speed of ram, brand and wattage of pw supply, etc, etc, etc.

Post links to the newegg parts you purchased.

3. Unopis

Unopis Thread Starter

4. frankjohn

frankjohn

Do a out of case test> 1 stick of ram> cpu and heatsink> cpu fan> video hooked up to monitor> keyboard. It is possible your board is shorting to the case? did you use standoffs? chech all your connections.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just from looking at your list of parts, one thing jumps out at me; raidmax case and pw supply. While raidmax cases are ok, the pw supply is junk. There is no other way to put it; raidmax pw supplies are worse than useless.

Next have you read and followed the guide at the top of the forum for troubleshooting problem builds?

6. Unopis

Unopis Thread Starter

I did use standoffs and I'm fairly certain I connected the wires correctly. Though, there does seem to be a lot of loose wires around the case that don't connect anywhere. Is this normal? Like, cables from the power supply. There seems to be quite a few of those that just don't seem to go anywhere.

Oh. I had not know about the power supply beforehand. Anyway, I'll take a look at the guide.

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Just as an example, some time ago my kid bought a raidmax case/pw supply. I would not even let him boot the system with the 450W raidmax psu installed. I made him go buy a quality unit.

8. Unopis

Unopis Thread Starter

Alright, the computer actually turns on correctly now. However, the computer was beeping whenever I turned it on, indicating that there was an error, and the motherboard manufacturers website described this beep I was hearing as a problem with the graphics card. So, I a 2*1 pin into a graphics card slot and then into a place on the motherboard called "CLR CMOS" hoping that it would fix the problem. Now, it doesn't beep at all, but still turns on, and even the fans still run. What happened and how do I fix it? Thanks.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I have absolutely no idea what you are taking about. Did you clear cmos with the clear jumper is that what you did?

Did you assemble the system out of the case as per the guide and if so, what happened?

10. Unopis

Unopis Thread Starter

Yes, I assembled the system out of the case like the guide had said to do, and I did not get a display. Instead, the monitor gave the message "No signal input check video cable" just like it does when it's in the case.

Basically, I plugged in one end of a small cord that came with the video card into a slot in the video card and plugged the other end into a slot in the motherboard with 2 pins called "CLR CMOS" or something. Ever since I did that, it no longer beeps when there is an error with the installation. The monitor gives the message "No signal input check video cable" even though I'm absolutely sure the video card and the cable are hooked up correctly.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The clear cmos uses a jumper NOT a cord or anything else to clear cmos.

Have you read your manual? It gives instructions on how to clear cmos.

From your posts, the very best advise I could give you would be to take all of the parts to a pro and have them do the assemblely and troubleshooting for you.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/868778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice