New Custom PC- Installing Win XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

snowflayk

Hi, so I just got a new custom PC with no operating system.

The motherboard is Asus A8N-E and I have 2 western digital SATA drives, one is a raptor drive.

I made a boot CD for windows yesterday and in works on my other PC, but when I put it in my new PC it says something like, "Boot disk error, please insert system disk and press enter"

I set up my Bios so that CD-Rom is the 1st priority boot device.

I have tried pressing F-8 and going to the boot menu and selecting CD-Rom and nothing has worked yet.

Do I need to install drivers for my harddrives or something? I've looked around and can't find anything about boot disks for installing WD Sata drives...

Thank you, any help is appreciated!

PS- My new PC has no floppy drive.

Floppy drives are dirt cheap these days . . if you buy one and attach it for the installation, it will go much easier than trying the ShadeTree methods to workaround the need for the SATA drivers. You do not need to mount it perminently unless you want to.

These are good guides to reinstalling XP . . you might want to print one for reference during the install.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
http://www.socrtwo.info/cleanxpinstall.htm
http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

If you have set the BIOS to boot first from CD-ROM and it does not . . either the disc is not bootable or you may have two Optical drives . . try with the disc in the other one.

You do not nned a boot disc if you are installing XP . . just boot from the XP installation disc. but you will need a floppy to install the SATA drivers before you can install

snowflayk

Hey, here's a pic of what it says.

I'm pretty sure the SATA drives were previously installed. I bought this system pre-built, just without the operating system. The boot disk works on my other PC like I said so that isn't the problem.

I am definately going to try the other DVD drive now that you mention it, but I think I saw somewhere that the Sony one I was using was the master drive. The other is a LG and it isn't mentioned anywhere in the Bios :mad: ..

Anyways, thanks for the help. Maybe this picture will make the problem more clear?

snowflayk

I notice it says "Sec Master Disc" is where the DVD rom is on the screen... if you look at the top half of the picture I posted.

Do I have to make it the 1st Master Disc somehow? It has that option but says "none" there, is this the problem or no? If it is, how do I fix it?

snowflayk said:
I set up my Bios so that CD-Rom is the 1st priority boot device.
I would have set it up temp. as only boot device and disable all others, except CD rom.

Take a look at the jumpers on the optical drives . . Secondary Master is fine, and will be the one it boot to . . but the sony is not showing up . . could be that it is jumpered wrong. BEst way to jumper is set both to cable select, then place the one you want to be the master on the end connector of the cable . . and be sure it is a 80 wire . versus the older 40 wire ( less interference) . .

You will have to load the SATA drivers early in the installation of XP . . they should be on the mnotherboard cd

snowflayk

Thanks for the advice but I don't know exactly what this means :p

"BEst way to jumper is set both to cable select, then place the one you want to be the master on the end connector of the cable . . and be sure it is a 80 wire . versus the older 40 wire ( less interference) . . "

The jumper on the Sony is set to master... I'll have to check for the LG DVD-writer... Im actually thinking of getting the LG to show up in the Bios and making that the 1st CD-Rom device for now. Can anyone tell me how to do that? Like I said, u can't find the LG device mentioned in the Bios for some reason.

snowflayk

Ok well I want to change the jumper on the LG to master... but I don't know how to do that...

Please tell me it doesn't involve taking the whole drive out I don't know how to do that with this computer case :(

I thought the jumper would be like a switch dammit...

Thanks for the help.

snowflayk

Tech Support Forums... go there.

They fixxed my problem. Turned out the Sony DVD rom was messed and I just had to make the LG the master and 1st CD-Rom device and it worked.

Oh and if you were confused about my "boot CD" talk... good. Because turns out the normal window CDs work as boot CDs as well and I was just confused about my drive not working that I went to websites learning how to make a special "boot CD" that was never necessary.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online