1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new dell desktop computer

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by trapper36, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trapper36

trapper36 Thread Starter

new dell desktop computer
    I have purchased a new Dell Inspiron (3847) desktop with windows 7 pro. In fact I have not even taken it out of the box yet.

It came with Mcafee Security Centre which Dell is apparently promoting. But, I might just forgo the Mcafee and install Avast Free Anti-virus, plus MBAM Free, and SuperAntispyware Free. I had Mcafee on a PC many years ago and I do not have anything good to remember about it.

What do you all think.

Thanks.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I think its a personal decision. i would put in the one that you feel the most comfortable with whether a free one or one that you have to pay for.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    After you uninstall McAfee in that computer, make sure to download and save and then run its removal tool (MCPR.exe) so it can find and remove the leftover file and registry debris.

As Sue said, replace it with whatever you're familiar and comfortable with.

-----------------------------------------------------------

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Be sure to have the program you want to use ready to be installed BEFORE you uninstall McAfee.

I usually download what I need to a USB stick and do not connect a new computer to the internet until I have an av and Malwarebytes installed.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I use Avast AV as a resident shield and use Malwarebytes and SAS as stand alone scanners once a month. You shouldn't run several malware products simultaneously as they will likely clash.
    Also being careful about where you point your browser and what you download is far more important.

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Malware products can be run together and certainly free versions cause no issues and in fact many times it is necessary to run more than one AntiMalware program because there is no single program that is much good at removing anything.

Because we haven't seen a real virus in years, it really does not matter which one you choose and the discussion can get nasty and long as every0one has their favorite. But why people think it is a good idea to surf the Internet crapping up your entire system and then ripping out the bloatware colected monthly by scanning with AntiMalware programs astonishes me. For $24.95 a year up to about $59 a year there are quite a number of paid programs that will keep all that out "at the gate" which I hope many of you see the advantages of. Malwarebytes, Emsisoft, Eset Smart Suite, Webroot and many others have AntiMalware programs available which will keep most of that from entering your system in the first place and that plus watching carefully what you click on by taking your responsibility to surf safely will make a lot of parts run better and last longer. Sooner or later "ripping" "junkware" off of a hard drive will scar the drive and shorten it's life.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147307

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice