1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Dell laptop with questionable wireless card

Discussion in 'Networking' started by doct2, Dec 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doct2

doct2 Thread Starter

I just bought a Dell inspiron 5030. Apparently it came with an Atheros AR 9285 802.11 b/g/n wireless card. I cannot get this thing to connect to my home network unless I am sitting right next to the router! I have about 8 different wireless machines on this router working perfectly all over the house including one in a shed about 50 yards away! I have a range extender. This laptop can recognize the network at very close range only. I have a dell inspiron last year model with a Dell LAN wireless card that works great. For example when I am in an upstairs room, the 1 year old laptop is picking up about 6 different networks, whereas this new one I just bought is telling me no networks are available! I have tried looking for newer drivers, changing the power settings for the adaptor, restarting the router. The router is a lynksys WRT54G2 v1.5. Unfortunately there is no indication that the wireless adaptor is not working. It just isn't. What's the deal with this card? Any suggestions?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The card may be defective, but top suspects are loose antenna leads and broken antenna. With laptop unplugged and battery removed remove the one or two screws on the bottom covering the wireless card and check the antenna leads.

If that is not the problem I think you should be contacting Dell.

3. doct2

doct2 Thread Starter

OK Thanks!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!