1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Dell: Vista reboots and no facebook

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by disney_cjd, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. disney_cjd

disney_cjd Thread Starter

Dear All

I am having some weird problems and have sought solutions from Dell and online before returning here.

Dell recently replaced my AMD 4200 with a new E520 with Intel 6600 Dual Cores. I also have a ATI Radeon X1300 Pro card with 256 MB and 2GB ram. I am running the pre installed Vista Home Prem.

So here are my problems. The computer ALWAYS starts OK, loads the Dell bios splash and then some dos text about the DVD drives then it reboots and I get the wondwos failed to load stuff. What ever choice I select it loads OK and works. But the next time does exactly the same. I am running the latest Dell bios? Any ideas?

The other issues is that I just downloaded the latest ATI CCC driver for Vista 32 bit. It was released in October ans d seem to install OK but now I can not load the CC?

Finally, I am using Firefox and IE. I have tried to load the Dell site for support and also Facebook and neither load at all,. But both load fine on my Dell 320 L attitude. I can not understand why they do not load on my PC but do on my laptop. I wondered if it was a McAfee related thing but I have turned that all off and nothing makes a difference.

I would rally appreciate some help and guidance please.

Thanks
    disney_cjd

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    Please can you provide the exact text of the error messages you are getting, as 'stuff' is a little vague to diagnose the problem :)

3. disney_cjd

Sorry Peter -

What I mean is I turn it on.... the Dell BIOS splash loads then the dos confirmation that is has two DVD drives and a hard disk. Hten the screen goes blank and the Dell Bios spalsh appears again and then it the DVD confirmation and then it says...

Windows did not load properly. You can repar or start normally. I click repari it loads into Visa and searches and find nothing or if I select normal there is no problem and its loads Vista OK

Thanks

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

There are two things I would do here -- one: go to the Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced and look for "performance" issues there. Try optimizing for "performance" or just experiment with the settings.

Also examine the Event Viewer which I believe is also available from that interface if it contains critical errors.

The second is "clean boot" the machine and troubleshoot your startups >>

First, restart in Safe Mode if necessary -- (tap the f8 key promptly on startup and choose the Safe Mode option from the boot menu) or Normal mode

Then:

Run msconfig and select the "Services" tab. Check "Hide Microsoft Services" and then disable the rest. Also uncheck "load startup group" on the general page.

See this link for detailed information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 << for Vista, but applies equally to XP, and better written.

Now restart and test the issue at hand

If no problems, run msconfig and recheck half the disabled items on the Services tab. Test again. If the problem recurs, UNcheck half the items you just checked to narrow down the culprit.

If the problem didn't occur, check the other half, so all the Services are enabled -- proceed to do this on the startup tab as well.

Get the idea? You want to isolate the problem to a specific startup if possible.

Note: if you already have items unchecked under msconfig > startups and are in &#8220;selective&#8221; startup mode &#8211; you should note what these are before beginning. They will need to be de-selected again.

>> obviously, if the problem occurs in a "clean boot" you are probably dealing with a hardware issue of some kind. I don't quite understand what you mean by Dell replaced one machine with another. If they did that, you probably got a "refurbished" machine -- and there may be problems with it that were never properly understood or fixed.

5. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    I would also check the BIOS settings, you could select 'Load Defaults' and save the changes so that you are starting with a clean slate and see if Vista likes that better...

6. DellCA

DellCA Account Closed

Disney_cjd, did you ever get this problem fixed? If not I'll be happy to try and help you get things resolved. Rollin' Rog's suggestions are what I would have had you try, as what you describe is almost sure to be a software or (possibly) OS problem.

If you have any questions about the Dell system itself I'll be happy to answer them as well.

Larry
    Dell Customer Advocate

7. steveie85

steveie85

Have you tried to preform an image restore if avaliable? If you can try that. Anything you have added since you got the system will be lost, but it will be set back to how it was when it left the factory.

8. disney_cjd

Hi all

not yet, but i am awaiting a call from Dell today in fact. A very nice lady in escalations has arranged for a teccie to call me.

Thanks for your help. Its now an intermittent fault. works fine one start out of five.

9. DellCA

DellCA Account Closed

If you don't hear from the tech let me know. I am here at Dell headquarters and my team works closely with the escalation departments. It is entirely possible you are working with someone that is sitting only a few desks away from me.

Larry
    Dell Customer Advocate

10. steveie85

steveie85

Hey DellCA, I am awaiting a call back from a tech too. I am haveing an issue with my optical drive and want it replaced but "we aren't sure if its that or the OS". I have a thread started in the hardware section. I was talking to the rep. about 2 days ago now. He said to email him back when my computer was done backing up my info which I did and he has yet to call me back!!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650482

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice