1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Dell XPS Fan Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jonnob4t, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonnob4t

Jonnob4t Thread Starter

Hi,
    I just bought a new Dell XPS 15 and I've noticed that the fan is just going unecessarily loud and it's getting really annoying, the laptop isn't even that hot and I don't have any control over it in the BIOS. Every 10 seconds or so, even in normal use, the laptop fan starts going really fast and then stops and starts again. I've tried updating drivers but haven't had any luck, there seem to be quite a lot of people with this problem but there don't seem to be any solutions, any help would be great, thanks.

2. pip22

pip22

If it's new, don't mess with it. use your warranty, that's what it's for.
    Any decent supplier should exchange it or have Dell take a look at it, without it costing you anything.

Messing with it yourself may invalidate your warranty which you might need if some bigger fault rears it head later on.

3. Jonnob4t

Jonnob4t Thread Starter

Yeah, I've got Dell coming round tomorrow to have a look at it, but from others it seems that they don't manage to fix it.
    It's a weird issue though, I've been monitoring the heat of the processor and it seems that it gets hot from really simple tasks such as typing, opening a tab or scrolling down a page causing the fan to come on, but the processor only stays hot whilst I'm doing something hence why it then stops. Do you reckon that this is more the fan reading the system temperatures wrong (SpeedFan doesn't detect that I even have a fan) or is it a dodgy processor and heat sink?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice