1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New Destop Tower

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by markwalker, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. markwalker

markwalker Thread Starter

Hi there, Not sure if this is the right forum for this question......

But basically i wanna upgrade my desktop PC. I don't need Monitor, keyboard, printer etc i just wanna buy a new Tower and plug it straight in.

Now does anyone know of any good websites i could look at, prefably in the UK as thats where i live.

Also just a bit of advise regarding 32 bit & 64 bit, what exactly does this mean and where on the PC spec is it shown?

Many Thanks

2. Sherry22160

Sherry22160

As Far as UK Websites go I can not advise.

But I would suggest going for a AMD Socket 939 with the X2 Processor or Intel Socket 775

Go for a Duel Core
    Processor as well.

You will be able to get both 64 and 32 bit Compatibility.
    Depending on your budget get a processor with as much L2 as possible.

Any System built with these Sockets and a fast processor with a PCIE Card will Blitz your present setup.
    If you go for the Athlon 64 X2 and you play games you will need to Download the Duel Core Optimizer package from AMD

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html

R U going to built it yourself ???

3. silvershield

silvershield

Look for an Athlon 64 x2 3800+ or higher, or an Intel Pentium D 800 Dual core or higher for the processor. For memory, go for at least 1GB of RAM (1024 MB) or if you are in to games, go with 2GB (2048 MB). If youre going to use dual channel, make sure you install memory in pairs. (1GB = 512x2 or 256x4) (2GB = 512x4 or 1024x2) As far as the motherboard goes, just make sure you get one that supports Dual channel memory and PCI-E x16. Double check to make sure your processor is compatible with your motherboard. The hard drive is really up to you. I would recommend a Seagate with 200GB+. If you really want extra performance, you can setup a RAID array. Remember, the hard disk is the slowest part of your system.
    For the video card, it doesnt really matter what brand name you get... Just make sure it's a PCI Express x16 card and it has at least 256MB of memory.
    The ATI Radeon x1600 is pretty good, or if you are on a budget, the Radeon x1300.
    The case is pretty self explanatory... Just make sure you get one that has good cooling.
    Without a good power supply, you could be only getting half of the performance out of your computer than you would with a good one! So make sure that you get at least a 400W PSU.
    DVD/CD drives are up to you... DVD/RW CD/RW combo drives are pretty cheap these days.

And if you have any more questions just let us know

Edit: You can pick up most of the parts off off newegg.com. I'm not sure about the UK, but i'm sure theres plenty of sites to order parts from too.

4. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

5. markwalker

6. markwalker

The only things i can see i need to get to make this system workable are....:

Hard Drive
    CD/DVD Drives
    Operating System

Does that right......?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its a nice package, but the power supply is on the low side - its only a 350 watt.

8. markwalker

How much for a 400 watt supply....? Roughly....

9. markwalker

10. markwalker

Oh yes.... the 64 bit... No one has answered about that yet.....??

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Every new processor is 64 bit capable, its a non issue. It'll work with 32 bit versions of Windows and 64 bit version of Windows too, when Windows Vista comes out.

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Seagate should be a very fast drive.

14. markwalker

I don't use my PC for games so is the power supply provided (350 Watts) still ok or should i go for a 400 watt?

15. markwalker

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice