1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New DVD burner problem HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mzzondo, Apr 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mzzondo

mzzondo Thread Starter

New Sony DRU-530a Dvd burner..installed fine...reads cds and dvds...does not recognize any blank media? Sony support "closed"...

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Mzzondo
    Not sure if I can help you but will give it a go.
    How are you determining that the DVD writer is not recognizing blank media?
    Are you using you burning software and it cannot find the drive or proper media inserted?

Dave

3. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Could be that the burner software doesn't recognize it (even if it came bundled with it)
    Could be that you are using a +R disk in a -R drive or using a RAM disk.
    I'd try a different brandname of DVD and make sure your drive can recognize it.

4. mzzondo

mzzondo Thread Starter

well its supposed to support dvd-r/-rw +r/+rw, cd-r/rw +r/rw
    in my computer it says DVD-RW (d:) when i put a blank dvd in it goes to cd drive (d:) and says not accessable incorrect function

the software tells me to put in a blank dvd....then nothing

5. mzzondo

mzzondo Thread Starter

and i just noticed something...i had a software cd in my cdrw..i opened the drive and put in a cd r the drive does not refresh and show a cd-r it still shows the software that i had in...and when i double click it it says e: is not a valid win32 application.

6. mzzondo

mzzondo Thread Starter

should i try switching the drives master/slave?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could try that - make sure one drive is set as master and the other as Slave using the jumpers on the back of each drive. You may also want to attach the CD drive on the same cable as the hard drive as a slave and leave the DVD as master on the secondary channel.

You're also gonna want to make sure that DMA access is enabled on all drives in the computer. This is done by checking the DMA box for each device under properties in Device Manager or by install the latest chipset/IDE drivers - thats the better solution.

You haven't mentioned what software or version of Windows you using. Without up-to-date DVD burning software you will not be able to burn any disc with the drive.

8. mzzondo

mzzondo Thread Starter

ok im running xp sp1a and the software im attempting to run is dvdxcopy xpress....i have 2 hard drives on the primary channel and was attempting to run the dvd burner as the secondary master and the cdrw as the secondary slave, with no luck. may be the way im jumpering them along with the way they are cabled.
    Should the master or slave be farthest away on the cable or does it matter?
    i took out both drives and jumpered the dvd burner as master and put it farthest away on the cable and it worked! it read the blank dvd-r media. and wrote to it. now do i just jumper the other drive as slave and put it on the cable (closer to the motherboard) and restart?

9. Davey7549

Davey7549

Mzzondo
    Yes the Master is farthest from IDE plug on Motherboard and Slave is in Middle.
    Make sure jumpers are set properly and see if all is OK.

Dave

10. catlady13

catlady13

I ran into a problem with my DVD burner with dvd copy express . It all happened when I installed the windows update that is supposed to correct problems with cd burners. I do believe that may be part of service pack 1. I was also told by a techie friend who services computers for a living that many of his clients had the world of trouble after that update with cd and dvd burners. I am wondering if you have that update installed? Mind I couldn't fix it . I had to download a different program to back up my software but mine was fine before that and after I loaded that "fix" I had SO much trouble that I had to reload both of my burners and my burning software . Might have something to do with your problem ??

11. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Try hooking the drive up by itself.
    You may have some kink or something causing latency in the IDE channel.
    If it still doesn't work I'd check Sony's site for an upgraded flash.
    I didn't find anything on WindowsXP help but it could be an issue.

Sorry....no time right now to check Sony's site.
    I have like 10 more minutes of access before I get yelled at by the old lady.

12. mzzondo

mzzondo Thread Starter

i do have xp sp1 ...and i have only the sony dvd drive hooked up right now at the end of the cable and jumpered for master and it does work with dvd xcopy xpress. so now all i need to do is get them working together...ill get back to you..thanx for the help

13. mzzondo

mzzondo Thread Starter

when i hook up the other burner it finds new hardware..adds the drive but when i put blank media, or any media for that matter..it says it is not accessible

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

So, it's not recognizing ANY cd at all now?

15. mzzondo

mzzondo Thread Starter

no it sees both but the slave dosent work right.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223751

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice