1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New DVD. How can I get it to boot from DVD?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dfw_mom, Jan 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dfw_mom

dfw_mom Thread Starter

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this. I have a little problem that I'm hoping someone can help with.

I bought a compaq professional workstation ap550 from my employer in an auction. I've installed windows 2000 professional, and replaced the old slow CD drive with a DVD ROM and added a DVD R/W. They are working fine, except...

The computer used to be able to boot from the old slow CD drive. I can't get it to boot from either of the new DVD drives, and I've taken the CD drive out, so right now, I don't have a good way to boot, if I need to boot from something other than the hard drive. There's an old 3.5" that might boot, but that's not much to work with.

Does anyone know how I might get my PC to boot from either of the new DVD drives?

I've looked in the bios, and "CD-Rom" drive is set boot first, then 3.5" drive, then hard drive, then ethernet. When booting the lights on all the drives come on for a few seconds, but then it boots from hard drive, even if there are CD's in the two DVD drives.

Any ideas?

Thanks for you assistance!

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    How did you jumper the drives? One should be set as Master and the other should be set as Slave. This is done with little jumpers on the back of each drive. You can also try reversing the master and slave jumpers on the two drives as sometimes one drive prefers to be master for some reason.

In the BIOS makes sure both drives are detected correctly, run any automatic IDE detection or make sure each channel is set to AUTO and not NONE.

3. killah

killah

i have seen that some dvd drives have trouble reading some cd's, have you tried other cd's to boot from? or can win2000 see the cd's in windows?

4. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

It may not be because it can't read the CD, is the boot order in BIOS set correctly?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice