1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New DVD rw install problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djs6673, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. djs6673

djs6673 Thread Starter

Hello
    I replaced a Acer CD writer, which died, on a windows 98se machine with a new LG super multi 18x DVD rw drive, non boxed, from a local Oriental mom and pop computer vendor, who are trying to be helpful over the phone but I have a slight communication problem with them.
    I set the jumper same as the old (slave) and used the same plug on the ribbon cable, which also is connected to a cd rom drive. I did not remove the old hardware in device manager. It was not there after it died and was unplugged, as I recall. When I booted up the computer it did not do any plug and play wizardry. The new drive was recognized in device manger as just “CD-Rom”. No specific name as I would have expected. I assume it will find the drivers on its own since I understand that Windows supplies the generic drivers and there was a CD writer there before. I did make it try to find a better driver after having problems noted below but it comes up with same one.
    The original Adaptec easy cd Program does not recognize and will not write to the drive as a cd writer, and when I tried to install the Roxio software that was supplied with drive by the local vendor I get a message before installation proceeds that it does not recognize any supported drives, So I cancel the software installation.
    Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong or is familiar with a similar situation?
    Thank You
    djs6673

2. idowindows

idowindows

Meaning same data cable with the hard drive I take it?

How is the new optical drive registered in the bios?

3. djs6673

djs6673 Thread Starter

idowindows:

"Meaning same data cable with the hard drive I take it?"

No. It is also connected to a CD Rom.

In the Bios under CMOS setup both the old CD rom and the new DVD rw are listed as CD-ROM. 1 slave & 1 master.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download Nero InfoTools from this site Nero Tools Download. Post a screen shot of the Drive page when you select the DVD drive and refresh the display.

5. djs6673

djs6673 Thread Starter

Hi John
    Number 1 is the screen shot of Drives.

Number 2 is the screen shot of the hardware configuartion.

Attached Files:

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, the big issue I see is it's running in PIO mode, you need to fix that. However, it appears to be recognized as a DVD+/-RW drive. Look at the solutions to DMA reverts to PIO and see if that helps the first issue.

I'd consider some of the free burning programs to see if it works properly as a burner.

DeepBurner

CDburnerXP

ImgBurn

BurnAtOnce

7. djs6673

djs6673 Thread Starter

John
    Thanks for your Help. I got everything sorted out. I had to uninstall the original Adaptec software. Then the new dvd burning software roxio 5 could find a supported dvd drive. It could not find one before. Everyone probably new that but I didn't.

Thanks again
    djs6673

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543158

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice