1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New DVDRW not reading discs properly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DMC2, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMC2

DMC2 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've just acquired a new ASUS DVDRW (DRW-1608P25) and have installed it as the Master drive on my Secondary IDE Controller. I think the jumper is correct

I've got a LiteOn 1693s DVDRW on the same IDE channel as the Slave.

Weird thing is, I've managed to burn using the ASUS but when I try to read a disc, (both originals and burnt discs), it doesn't read properly.

For example: driver CDs with their own installation interface. When I attempt to load them, I get an error. Sometimes the error being "Not a VAlid Win32 applciation" but when I chuck the disc into the LiteOn, it loads fine.

It lists the files of data on DVDRs but I can't seem to open them. Previously had a DVDROM in there but swapped it out. That worked fine.

Any ideas why? Probably something simple. I thought that if the jumpers were wrong or if the cable was loose that the drive would not be able to function at all, let alone let me burn a disc.

Thanks.

Using WinXP pro

2. DMC2

DMC2 Thread Starter

[SOLVED]

I used the CDROM IDE cable that my motherboard included, which was what I've been using for all optical drives.

I swapped it with a High Density 133MB one and that worked. Seems this new Asus drive needs one of these to read properly. It burnt okay though, which was weird. Drive includes an IDE cable but it only has one IDE connector hence I didn't use it.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!