1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

new emachines is already crashing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by happyskier, Dec 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. happyskier

happyskier Thread Starter

i just purchased a new emachines desktop with AMD processor 3100+. its probably been siting on the shelf for a year but it was on sale!! it has trial versions of Mcalfie and norton. (i thought you should not have 2 different antivirus software together).

anyway, after just 2 days, IE is crashing when i am online. do i need to try all these diagnosis, updates, spybot, antivirus, etc. to get it working right or since it is bran new, should i just try to exchange or return it. i would not expect a new computer to already have these problems.

any suggestions would be great

happy holiday

2. EvileYe

EvileYe

Are they both running at the same time ?

If so, you need to uninstall one of them, it is best to do this from safe mode.

To access safe mode, keep tapping the f8 key on boot up and select the safe mode option when it comes up. Then go into your Control Panel, Add/Remove programs and uninstall one of them. "I'd choose nortons to get rid of"

3. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

I'd uninstall both of them and get a free one like Avast!
    After the trial runs out you will have to pay or uninstall them anyway...

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Get rid of those trial versions of NORTON and MCAFEE, then make sure to clean out all their leftover files and registry entries.

After you've done that, go here and download and install Grisoft AVG Free Edition 7.1.371.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you be more specific as to how Internet Explorer is crashing when you're on-line?

Are you using a 56K dial-up or a high-speed cable/DSL connection?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is Windows XP SP2 installed?

Have you downloaded and installed all the critical updates?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

6. SirKenin

SirKenin Banned

I would just take it back. Why screw around? That's what warranties are for. Let it be their problem. Grab yourself another one and make sure you don't put either Mcaffee or Norton on it. Both of them are junk.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If it was sitting on the shelf for a year(display model?) before you bought it on sale, I'm curious to see if the store will honor the warranty.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. prunejuice

prunejuice

I'd believe the warranty starts from the moment of purchase (store warranty).

Even if the manufacturer's warranty ran out, most stores have at least a 30-90 in-store warranty.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I can't argue with the idea of taking it back if that's an option. :)

10. happyskier

happyskier Thread Starter

Thanx for the responses. As best as I can tell, both anti-virus versions are popping up but I have not really installed either one. Also, a MacAfee antispam program looks like it can be installed for free and that is separate than the anti-virus, and thus compatible with any anti-virus.

Regarding the IE crashing, I have XP pack 2, with dial up ISP. I downloaded all the windows updates and have not had another IE crash.

Regarding the return, the computer was not a shelf model. I opened it up bran new. The computer still seems to be running slow at times. So Best Buy policy is if you return it in 14 days, you pay a restocking fee, unless it is defective, then no fee. So I need to prove that it is defective. I am not sure how to prove it.

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You'll most likely need to prove that one or more hardware components are defective. Internet Explorer crashing or some other software-related problem occurring isn't going to qualify it as "defective". Anyway, good luck.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/427612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice