1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

New External HDD not recognizing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JustinOutlaw, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JustinOutlaw

JustinOutlaw Thread Starter

Hey guys,

Just got my new internal drive and enclosure today, but the ******* wont show up in My Computer

The SATA drive has to be connected via USB because the computer I'm on doesn't have an eSATAp port, and there's no power supply on the enclosure.

The light turns on when I connect it via USB, however it blinks and I can't notice the drive starting. When I connect the external device with USB AND eSATA, the drive starts to run, and the LED light turns from blinking to solid.

Both devices are new and the USB slot works fine. I cannot run simply from eSATA because it doesn't pool power unless you have an eSATAp connecting port, which this computer doesn't have.

Any advice would be cool, I'm going to fiddle with it some and see if I can't get this think recognized.

-JO

2. JustinOutlaw

I may have found my own answer.

The enclosure I got isn't eSATAp supported, but only eSATA, meaning I can't transfer power out of it. The power that comes from the USB hub is only enough to power the transfer via USB, so the eSATA transfer is rendered useless.

If this is true, I really can't see why this product had 4 eggs. There must be another answer. Then why won't it recognize via USB still? I'm not sure.

-JO

3. JustinOutlaw

I can't fiddle anymore right now. If someone could help with some input I'd greatly appreciate them.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Are you trying to run this through a hub plugged into a USB Port? Have you tried to plug it directly into a USB Port on the computer?

5. JustinOutlaw

Ye it's from a regular port onto of the casing. I don't think it's on the mobo however. Does this matter?

Also can you tell me more about eSatap?

Gracias,
    JO

6. Bora_tskn

Bora_tskn

l have a external hdd (seagate). Sometimes my computer dont recogniz my hdd. My hdd go down sleep and never wake up. This is a problem and accured 2 mounts ago. This are few ideas;
    - You can buy a usb hub (with power skot)
    - You change your system or format the system
    - Try this hdd on the other computer and check it hdd to work or not work
    - Your hdd connect cablo have one usb you can buy a new usb cablo two usb in one.
    - Your usb cablo must be Strong cablo. Standart and tiny cablos not strong to your need of the your hdd.

7. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

May be worth getting a new enclosure which has connection for plugging drive directly into mains for power via power cable instead of using computers power.

8. JustinOutlaw

I bought a 2.5" drive with no power supply because I wanted to make use of my laptop's eSATAp port. At the time I did't know there needs to be corresponding eSATAp ports and an eSATAp cable, as opposed to the port on my laptop, a regular eSATA port, and a regular eSATA cable. (If this is true? Can someone confirm?)

Then it seems buying a higher capacity 3.5" drive with an enclosure that supports internal power supply may be a more economical choice.

*update

I plugged the drive into a USB port on the mobo, and the light turned straight green and the drive started turning, a change from plugging it in to a hubbed USB port.

However, if it is true that the enclosure won't work with eSATAp reguardless (can anyone confirm?), I may just be returning it.

-JO

9. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Unless you include a link to the enclosure or at least the manufacturer and model number there isn't a way for us to try to confirm anything.

10. JustinOutlaw

Point taken.

Enclosure:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817159093
    Hdd:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136692

As you can see there's no power supply and no power over esata, as it seems is necessary on both ends of an eSatap cable. I've decided if this is true I'll be mailing newegg soon.

Can you tell how compatable usb3.0 is?

Also it's interesting that you're from roseberg, I'm from the rogue valley, and I have family there.

-JO

11. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I just checked the Coolmax website and that enclosure gets its power from the USB Port. So I would make a semi educated guess that it would have to be connected to both USB and eSata. Not sure in other words.

I have lived here in Roseburg for 11 years now, a transplant from just outside the south gate to Yosemite. The only family I have in Oregon live in my house.

12. JustinOutlaw

And I couldn't get the device to recognize with any combo. I think I'll be returning these then. I'll probably be getting a higher capasity 3.5" drive with an enclosure that supports usb/ieee/esata. As It's ridiculously hard to find esatap external enclosure. Do you know much about usb3.0?
    sweet, do you do any climbing? good climbing there.

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    No climbing, I spent my time in the high country on horseback though. Lake Joe Crane in the Ansel Adams Winderness. Up around 11,000 ft. Fishing and hiding from the bear. BTW if a bear wants yer fish, give it to him.

I really haven't studied USB 3.0 much. Don't have a Mobo that supports it. Nor Sata 3.0

14. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  15. JustinOutlaw

Oh wikipedia, why must you kick me so hard.

Right on, my dad is really into hunting and fishing and my step-mom is a horse breeder. I love going camping and being outdoors also, but I like doing things like snowboarding and climbing. I bet Yosemite is beautiful :cool:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974345

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice